Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Interesting find today:

I was collecting some bugs today, and found this among many other finds. It the larvae of the rhyacophila caddis encased in its cocoon. When the transformation to a pupae is finished the caddis will chew out of this almost clear cocoon and the pupae will rise to the surface and hatch into the adult. You can make out the legs of the larvae near the right end of the green body. While photographing this I could see the larvae moving withing the cocoon.

A major caddis hatch is expected on this river any time now.

post-12074-0-42512800-1402550227_thumb.jpg

Right I am still in Utah, the river is the Provo.

Cool find I have been watching my home waters closely for our hex hatch and last night with it thunder and lightning and torrential down pour they were hatching something fierce you could see trout actually coming out of the water 8 to 10 inches after the mayflies made me mad I couldn't fish

If Riff were to go out during the lightning storm he becomes the title of a new John Gierach book, "Mad Man Enlightened on the Ausable."

I would think fish would gladly eat that thing just the way it is, and what an easy fly to copy. Well, now that I think about it, it would be almost impossible to copy the translucence with the body inside. Just a plain old Sawyer Killer bug would give the shape not the translucence. Maybe that's why the Killer bug still catches it's share of fish even tho it essentially resembles nothing except maybe a slug.

Cool pic and always love seeing pics like that.