Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Anvil Atlas Full Rotary Fly Tying Vise Review

Im no expert and this is my first full rotary vise. I have played with a few other than this one, and I personally found this one to be the best for what I needed. I am in no way coming down on other vises, except for stating my opinion. I could be wrong on some things with this review, but again I'm not an expert and only stating what I see, and my opinion as the owner of this vise. Now that I am done with that... Take a look at the review below... Click the link to see the full review with pictures on my site.

If you are like me, you dont have the money to buy one of each vise on the market and test them out for the best one. With some manufacuturors charging upwards of $500+ for their flagship vise, its hard to even aford one vise, let alone multiple. I recently was on the lookout for a new vise, one with a full rotary feature, and also for a good price.... Read more - Anvil Atlas Fly Tying Vise Review

post-58316-0-04287000-1470344108_thumb.jpg

Anvil Atlas Fly Tying Vise Review

Good review, great photos too. However I think that you are missing something in setting up the drag if the head is not rotating smoothly and the out of balance issue continues. It is true that it is not balanced and I have an issue with that in all these affordable true rotary vises, in that that stops high speed spinning with the vise. But you should be able to set the drag so the jaws don't flop down to bottom.

Great write-up. I am not the biggest fan of this vice but your points of affordability and that it fits your style says a lot about it.

On the balance issues... Have you tried putting adhesive wheel weights in the light side? Not sure exactly where you would mount but with a little trial and error maybe. The things are real cheep and the tire store might give them to you for free if you ask if they sell them...they get annoyed messing with something that small.

Warning... THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK. I repeat... THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK.

IMO... You would have been much better off with a Peak ($154) or a Griffin Odyssey Spider Cam ($95) than the Wolff Atlas vise. It's fine with smaller hooks, but there is WAY too much fiddling with a larger hook to get it to seat correctly. In fact, you probably would have been better off with the Wolff Apex even though it's not true rotary. You can angle the jaws to accommodate the curve of bigger hooks.

At the end of the day, it's a decent vise that will get the job done with some extra fiddling.

Lol. Rolling Thunder to be precise or maybe a possible train wreck.

I believe it to be distant thunder Retro.

Maybe it's a train coming .....

From what I understand ... McFlylures isn't reading feedback, anymore, so there's no possibility of "repercussions" from any negative comments.

So what's the point of giving feedback ? ;)

Unfortunately he will not get the positive comments either ..... Makes no sense .

Didn't feel like I was being too negative :(

I don't know, Retro. I don't get his post, since I blocked him a while ago. I don't like seeing the bold markers on the forums page that indicates unread threads. So, I look at all of them. If someone hits the quote button, then I see blocked posts on THAT reply. A few days ago, he said he wasn't going to look at replies anymore because they hurt his feelings or something.

He also accused "people" of getting on his website and threatening him. I've never been there, so I am not sure if he's serious about that or not but, holy crap if it's true!

NOBODY'S video is THAT bad, I don't care what the subject matter.