Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite Warmwater species

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your favorite target species for warmwater?

What are your favorite target species for warmwater?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#136 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thomas, welcome to forum, would love to experience the "bite" of which you speak. FUN is the reason I fish, tie flies, and write non-sense in the middle of the night ( many here would say: ". Kenduardo, DUDE, it ain't limited to the middle of the night...") during short bouts of insomnia.

Now are these Yellow Bass cousins of the Striped Bass, Wipers, and the ubiquitous White Bass, of central Nebraska waters that I fished as kid, and caught by the dozens, spin fishing with White Doll Flies (actually, jigs) during our bites?

And, for the record I am in agreement 100% with tjm, and others above about the correct labeling of our quarry.

Post some pictures of the fish and it helps all id the species and is even more FUN in this Forum... Thanks for a good share... Carry On!
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#137 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

+1, duped again
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#138 WA5DX

WA5DX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

I cannot figure out how to post a photo. The "image" link does not work.

??

Thomas

Go to my website http://wa5dx.com and look at the fish photo page and you will see a Yellow Bass that I caught on a 4-wt fly rod. This fish went over the average weight, it weighted in at 1-1/4 pounds.

If you have ever saltwater fished and caught a Yellowtail, then you know how these babies fight. They will smoke your line!

Thomas

#139 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Your picture WA5DX, broken lines and separate dorsal fins are key to ID? Sam%20Yellow%20Bass.jpg

#140 WA5DX

WA5DX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hi tjm,

I'm sure you also saw the photo of a White Bass and it does not have the very pronounced stripes like the Yellow does. The meat is the same, soft and sweet. I throw back about 90% of all the fish that I catch unless looking for some to fry up fresh, normally some big Redear, except when I catch some 1-pounder and over on the White and Yellow Bass. I keep all of them.....and they get eaten real soon.

Thomas

#141 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thomas, I just copied the URL from your page and pasted it in the "image" blank. I'm new here too and still figuring things out.

Flat Rock, "Now are these Yellow Bass cousins of the Striped Bass, Wipers, and the ubiquitous White Bass" ; the way I get it is whites and yellows are fresh water cousins, stripers are the salt water version and second cousin, hybrids/wipers=man-made=striperXwhite

I've never caught any of these though I fished for stripers in Narragansett Bay and have eaten a bucket full of whites that my son in law killed. White bass=sand bass are native in this watershed, just never targeted them in the short spawning runs; striped bass and hybrids are stocked in nearby reservoirs, but I don't fish lakes.

Louisiana has a pretty good picture page; http://www.wlf.louis...-identification

#142 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

Wipers have the reputation in my Native waters in Nebraska as the hardest, fighting fish in the State.  Last I checked the freshwater Striper record there was 66+ lbs, caught about 22 miles from my parents homestead.

These Beasts put the GAME in gamefish!

GS's (Great Share(s) ) Y'All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎