Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

James Wood Bucktail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by flytire:

James Wood Bucktail

The fish care less than we do!

#2 Guest_rich mc_*

Guest_rich mc_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:33 AM

saw a smallie presentation by Joe Cornwall saturday he mentioned the same fly, same colors too rich mc

#3 camoham

camoham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

what size of 3366 is that usually tied on?

thanks

camoham
“You didn’t find a padlock on my door (maybe I should have put one on) for I feel that a cabin in the wilderness should be open to those who need shelter. My charge for the use of it is reasonable, I think, although some no doubt will be unable to afford what I ask, and that is- take care of it as if you had carved it out with hand tools as I did. If when you leave your conscience is clear, then you have paid the full amount.”

#4 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

according to the Cronwall video, they tie them on sizes ranging from 4-8's depending what your fishing for, i.e LMB seem hit them.

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#5 BigDaddyHub

BigDaddyHub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

Can see that turning big gills and crappies as well. Just doesn't seem much like a LMB fly, but I'd be willling to at least try it.
Hug your daughters, or someone else will.

#6 Guest_rich mc_*

Guest_rich mc_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

if i remember right , it was for a specific window of opportunity. when the moths are out in summer. rich

#7 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

great classic pattern!
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#8 Bob Buckley

Bob Buckley

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

Caught my biggest bass on a size 8 in lily pad cluster throwing it on a five wgt cane rod and peerless click pawl reel. Fit both my fists in its mouth. N Ohio in pond in my development just screwing around.  It a Harry Murrey pattern from his small. mouth on a fly book. Originally wanted it as salt water fly in flats pattern. Same color as James Wood High School he was familiar with, thus the name.