Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly or Lure?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: fly or lure (208 member(s) have cast votes)

All Fly or All Lure

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

To me, if I cast it on a fly rod I tend to call it a fly...but I have heard of people slinging bait on a fly rod and that sure as heck ain't a fly! Some of my recent creations may cross that invisible line from fly to lure, though. I have been experimenting with some of those light weight plastic diving lips on streamers. I have tied a few trial patterns with them, very simple ties, and tested them in a lake last week to see if they performed as I hoped they would...and they did. Tied weightless, they would run as deep as maybe 12-15" on a floating line, nice little wiggle-shimmy when you stripped them hard. headbang.gif

#17 kelkay

kelkay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

It is a fly in my opinion. biggrin.gif

#18 joshhillips

joshhillips

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

I 2nd the FLURE!!!

#19 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

Trout Snobs, LOL...I am not too sure, so i looked up wikipedia and if wikipedia says this then you know it has to be true dry.gif

'An artificial fly or fly lure is a type of fishing lure, usually used in the sport of fly fishing (although they may also be used in other forms of angling).'

#20 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

First who cares LOL if you can cast it with your flyrod cool!!!!!!!

The only problem you MIGHT run into is how Fish and Wildlife officers would consider it if you tried fishing it in a fly fish only section of a river.

cool looking tie up though

Fatman
Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#21 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

To me a "Lure" is made to catch a fishes attention and LURE the fish to strike(hence the name). Now don't quote me on that I don't know if it's true. But don't we all tie flies to attract and lure the fish to strike our fly? we all add little triggers to lure the fish to our fly during a hatch and not the other flies around.

In the end he was just jealous that you were catching more fish.
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#22 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:07 PM

day5, I would call it a fly. wink.gif

I've been in arguments about "what a fly is or isn't"! wallbash.gif

Too much bs.gif in this sport.

Keep doing your own thing man, call it whatever you wish! You tie some great stuff and who cares what someone else wants to call it! thumbup.gif

Snobs of any kind will never get it! thumbdown.gif

#23 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

I appreciate the fellas who are attempting to research and present the etymology of the term "lure," but the answer to this question isn't going to be found in any dictionary. laugh.gif

Clearly, it's one of those "in the eyes of the beholder" type of thing, especially judging by the split poll results thus far. I would guess it's that metal blade that's giving pause, which makes me wonder in response to those who say "it's tied" -- If you went to the store and bought a conventional spinnerbait, took it apart, and then used thread to re-attach all the parts, will you have turned a lure into a fly? Just doing my part to stir the pot. rolleyes.gif

day5 -- You shouldn't have included the 3rd option but forced folks to decide between the 2 (i.e., lure vs. fly) . . . I think the results would have been more interesting instead of allowing the majority of folks to opt out or not commit.

-- Mike

#24 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

The point of the 3rd option was to further point out that the snob fly fishing era is dead. It was on purpose. Id rather have a guy walk up to me on a smallie stream while I'm casting 6 inch streamers and say "hey you know there are not any trout in here right?" and "that fly sinks?" than have some guy tell me that Im ruining the sport because I use "non traditional fly tying" materials. If we all smoked pipes and whore tweed sport coats while on the river then it would be a different story. But then again I would have never picked up a fly rod if that was the case!

Flure! LOL epic!!!!! Ill use that one for sure!!!!
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#25 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

What? You don't wear tweed? I was told I HAD to buy one when I first went to a fly shop as a young boy. So...I DON'T have to wear it anymore?

#26 boynabubble

boynabubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

Who said tweed isn't cool? Check this out:

Attached File  tweed_ipod_helmet_atelier_ruby.jpg   42.96KB   21 downloads

A tweed Ipod helmet??? Why didn't I think of that?!?!?hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Totally random, I know, but I thought this was the funniest/most creative/most idiotic use of tweed I've ever seen.

oatka, better not throw out that tweed jacket just yet. At this rate, it may be worth something.

BNB
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

That rocks! LOL!!!

Mike you in a tweed jacket that you bought years ago...... have you seen tommy boy? LOL!!!! Richard is that your coat?

Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

#28 day5

day5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Im not calling you fat but its kinda funny!!!

Brad Paisley

#29 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (day5 @ Nov 30 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we all smoked pipes and whore tweed sport coats while on the river then it would be a different story. But then again I would have never picked up a fly rod if that was the case!

Flure! LOL epic!!!!! Ill use that one for sure!!!!

I'm kind of curious but is it against the law to whore no matter what your wearing? hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#30 day5

day5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

LOL spell check got me!!!! thats to funny!!!! So now Mike is a fat guy in a little tweed jacket on the street!!!LOL!!!

Brad Paisley