Fly Tying
Gundriver64

Tying Tools Package

Hi Guys,

After a very long hiatus I am getting back into fly tying. My tools are very outdated. Plus, I have a lot of old materials that I need to find some better storage solutions for.

Can somebody recommend a decent quality package for tying tools? I have a vise that is decent; just looking for tying tools only.

Second, I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks reading and researching. On one of the threads I saw a storage solution using plastic tubes for streamer materials. I can't find that thread. Can somebody steer me in the right direction here?

Thanks Much!

G

i just keep long materials in their original packaging and just snip off a corner or a v notch in the bag

Hn2oDdR.jpg

i dont see the need to buy another item to store long materials when you already have one. i guess its just me

Nice idea! Thanks again, G

i just keep long materials in their original packaging and just snip off a corner or a v notch in the bag

Hn2oDdR.jpg

i dont see the need to buy another item to store long materials when you already have one. i guess its just me

How long was your hiatus? I have tying "tools" that are 35 years old and they look and operate the same as the new stuff. I hesitate to call them tools because they perform very simplistic tasks under no strain, force or high tolerances so there is no difference between the least and most expensive as far as doing their very simple tasks. Some people enjoy the finer things in life which is fine but new expensive tools bring nothing to the fly tying table. Just one mans humble opinion.

As for material storage I long ago determined storing in the original packaging in plastic shoe boxes and those cheap plastic colllege dorm type storage drawers is the best method for me.

Welcome back!

If you want a new tool set and don't have anything specific you're after go with the Dr Slick set for $50 or the Terra set for $25. The Dr Slick set is better quality stuff, very sturdy feel to everything; the Terra is economical without feeling cheap. Both kits have all the essentials.

Really nothing new that's profoundly different or better with tying tools for the most part in longer than I can remember, I'm young for this forum but not much has changed in the last 25 years as far as I know.

I think if anything the normal features for a vise have far exceeded any improvements to bobbin holders or scissors or the other 3 or 4 gadgets we all use regularly.