Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouta_Control

Quill Body

I would really appreciate some help/guidance on quill-bodied flies! (Im attaching a picture of what I hope to make...)

1. Some videos I have seen recommend using quills from hackle and peacock. I hate to strip an entire quill of hackle since those capes are so expensive! Has anyone tried synthetic quill by Hareline? ( https://www.anglersall.com/hareline-synthetic-quill-body-232720 )

2. To get a glossy finish, would Sally Hansens hard as nails work?

Thanks in advance!

post-61865-0-95797000-1517144492_thumb.jpeg

The body in the picture is probably 2 moose mane quills, one white and one brown. Plumbob used to do a lot of those (remember Plumbob?). Like Flytire, I use inexpensive capes and saddles for quills. Chinese/Indian capes are lousy hackles, but provide great quills and tailing materials. To get gloss, simple coat the body with head cement when you are done. It also increases durability. In fact, if you are using a stripped peacock quill, you almost have to coat it or the first fish will destroy it.

Soaking quills in warm water does help. Adding a few drops of hair conditioner to the water also helps. I also use dyed goose biots for quill bodies. They work best if you put a drop of glue under them before you wind. Horse hair also works well, but splits/splinters easily (it's also hard to find.)

What your Looking at in that picture is a stripped peacock quill taken from a peacock eye. Davie mcphail ties a lot in this style and is you tube videos would be a big help... there are a lot of videos out there too on how to strip peacock quill.

yes the first photo shows a stripped peacock herl quill

apply a dab of head cement or crazy glue to the shank prior to wrapping the quill forward

then overcoat with head cement, uv resin, sally hansens etc