Fly Tying

Slow was the way to describe fishing, but lots of fun.

Day 1 - Fished the Petrohue river swinging for salmon with 10 and 9wts and 400-450 grain line with big articulated salmon flies. First stop I caught my first one, a solid king that the guide said was around 20lbs, give or take. Was a great fight in the strong currents, even on a 10wt. Rest of the day was very slow, with only a decent sized rainbow on a sculpin. That day we were only focused on salmon and I achieved my goal of getting a big salmon.

Day 2- We fished the Maullin river, with trout in mind. The trout is 90% brown trout, although the nicest fish of the day was a 15in rainbow. We caught over 10 browns and the 1 rainbow. The browns didn't have much size to them but still fun seeing them chase after streamers. It was a lot like snook fishing, getting the fly under the trees as quietly as possible. Actually threw a lot of orange crayfish patterns which the river was full of

Day 3 - Started at a big mountain lake looking for big browns but nada. After that we floated down to the top of the Petrohue and fished around the banks some. My dad caught a nice rainbow, about 20in. I was happy for him since he wasn't doing too well fishing wise. He caught another small rainbow and so did I, all on streamers throwing 6wts.

Overall, fishing was slow but I made the fatal mistake of coming with overly high expectations. Chile is an amazing country with really good food and nice people. I'll think of this trip as a success

post-59033-0-40474600-1522674261_thumb.jpgpost-59033-0-60816700-1522674238_thumb.jpgpost-59033-0-27939700-1522674293_thumb.jpg

Nice report, Flats. Glad you caught some fish. That salmon looks huge.

High expectations usually lead to disappointments. But it's a common mistake, not a fatal one. A "fatal mistake" means someone died.

You're a lucky kid!!! Not many of us get to do a trip like that in our lifetimes. Glad you are thinking the trip was a success and congrats on the salmon.20 pounds is a good fish anywhere except maybe in saltwater.

Les

Haha Mike I know that I just didn't mean it literally lol. Next trip the expectations won't be as high...

Les thanks for the kind words. I am well aware of how lucky I am, this is actually my 2nd trip to Patagonia...

Flats

Matter of fact I did! A couple browns and the rainbow in the first pic. All on barbless fishskull zonker streamers!

Let's get down to the real story. Okay, okay, so you got some nice fish, expected more, caught a trophy salmon, blah blah blah. How was the FOOD. I always base my trips on a combination factors of importance in this order. Local Food, quality of cabin/housing, quality of fishing. They're all important but the cuisine man, the cuisine?

Hahaha! Food was amazing!! Really good meat from a real hand made fire with all the scenery, truly amazing. Puts food in the states to shame really...

Yep, been back in the States for a couple weeks now. Although, they almost didn't let me leave (flew back alone, dad stayed for work) and had to go through extensive questioning. It's funny because you see it in the movies but you never think it's going to happen to you lol

I was fine though, not sure a 16year old with fly rods and barbless flies would cause much trouble anyways...