Fly Tying

Wrapping lead

I find the best way to reduce the waste of wrapping lead wire is the use of tweezers. Grab 1/8" of the lead wire with the tweezers and wrap it forward on the hook. Once the desired amount of wraps have been reached simply pull the spool of lead away from the hook and it will break right at the last wrap. Twist the tweezer end around the hook and there's no waste wink.gif

Good Tip!

If you have a Nor-Vise or similar rotary vise application of lead is really neat also.

You take the end of the lead and insert it up and through the hook eye on the side facing you from the bottom and up through.

Start a turn as to prompt the lead in the direction you wish as you rotate or spin, it rolls on effortlessly onto the shank of the hook. Once full application is complete simply pinch the lead off.

I apply the lead directly from spool. These are ways to minimize waste also.

Damian

QUOTE (CapeBSalar @ Jan 8 2005, 10:52 AM)

I apply the lead directly from spool. These are ways to minimize waste also.

Damian

Always!

Never tried the hook-eye method. That sounds like a time saver

You take the end of the lead and insert it up and through the hook eye on the side facing you from the bottom and up through.

I keep my lead on a bobbin,but I always have problems starting. When I go to use the rotary, the lead spins frees. Putting it in the hook eye will stop that!

BFR

Another way of keeping the spooled lead under control and keeping track of the size is to take a 35mm film cannister and burn a hole with a heated needle or bodkin about half the spool height through the side of the cannister to let the lead feed out. Place the spool of lead in the container, feed the loose end through the hole, place on the cannister cap and you're good to go. I write the size lead on the cap and store them in a drawer.

Rando

I wrap directly from the spool. when I get the number of wraps on the hook, I cut the lead with a pair of professional sewing scissors. Loop is the middle, hinged on the end. Shorter than the regular scissors. Then I turn each end of the lead in opposite directions at the same time pushing the ends together to compact it. Then I wrap it with thread to cover the ends.

As an aside comment, there is some talk of banning lead for fishing. TIP: Keep old extension or appliance cords and use the copper wire. Works great and is cheap.