Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
B.C.TroutHunter

Floatant test pending

I just recently thought of using bore oil (an oil used to protect wood instruments, such as the oboe, from excess moisture) as a floatant. Well I applied it to some flies, and will let it stand for the night so that I can test them in the morning. Has anyone ever tried this?

I have tried lighter fluid mixed with Vaseline. Didn`t work at all.

But I am also looking for alternative floatants. See my other thread.

Let me know how it worked !

Well I think it has been a success. I took my emerger pattern (shown below), put some of the clear bore oil on my fingers, and then stroked the hackle and cdc so that they had a nice oil layer but was not drenched in it. I then let it stand for three hours. Next I filled the sink with water and placed the fly in, pushing it so that the nymph part was completely submerged and only the hackles were keeping it afloat.

Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes turned to hours, and even after 2 hours it still did not sink. I blew is around in the sink and made waves with my fingers but it would not sink. The fly gave of some oil on top of the water but I don't think it is enough to scare fish.

I also tried this with a deer hair caddis patter, and it floated like cork. I even pushed it by the wing to see if it will still float when 'skittered', and it floated so well that the body would not submerge.

So there you are. If you play a wood instrument you will probably have some bore oil which can be used as a floatant when needed.

QUOTE (B.C.TroutHunter @ Feb 18 2005, 11:00 AM)
If you play a wood instrument you will probably have some bore oil which can be used as a floatant when needed.

Hmmm, I have a jelly but I'm afraid it won't be very good as a floatant cool.gif

Anti foaming agent used in rug doctors at the grocery store.

Its silica based thick solution, floats on top of water to stop bubbles.

It also goes by the name Gunk and most of hte other floatants you buy.

QUOTE (Thibodeau @ Feb 18 2005, 08:04 PM)
eek.gif Vaseline + Gasoline = NAPALM  gunsmilie.gif
I love the smell of burning trout in the morning! smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I find legit flotant doesnt always work. blink.gif

Sign in to follow this