Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cody Gould

Davie Mcphail

Send him a message, he is a member here...or send a comment thru his Youtube page...he seems to answer ALL questions...

whatever camera davie mcphail uses is probably irrelevant since any camera shooting in high definition will give you the same results as long as you know how to use it

I recall him answering this in a comment @ youtube. I believe his camera is a Sony DSR-PD170P, which has likely been replaced with another model by Sony. Pricey.

Sony-DSR-PD170P.jpg

Not sure about Davie, but if you are looking to get into it for kicks (not high end professional production), consider a decent flip cam. You can get them to shoot hi def and better yet, they are small enough you can put it on a mini tripod between you and the vice and actually shoot from the tier's perspective. Watch the sales - I picked up a Kodak zi8 for under $70. Click on one of the videos on this page to see what kind of video it takes. Keep in mind, if you maximize the video on that page it will look grainy. I actually downsize the video when I export from the editor to keep bandwith usage and download time down.

Flytire is right - knowing how to use what you have is your best bet. Avoid zoom, have plenty of steady light. I picked up the lavalier mic at Radio Shack and it helped my sound quality immensely. I've only done 6 videos, but even I find it amusing how far they have progressed in that time. Shoot, edit, review, learn, do it again.

Deeky