Fly Tying
TIER

Fall salmon run in Valdez, Alaska (Slamin' Salmon)

1. Silver Salmon I caught on the first fishing day. I caught another one, but the one shown is the biggest.

2. Trophy Dog (Chum) salmon. That is going on the smoker, along with one smaller chum.

To Be Continued...

I am probably going back next week, so get ready for more pictures of salmon!

post-64672-0-53705000-1568150490_thumb.jpg

post-64672-0-93685900-1568150522_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys! Next time I go to Valdez the pictures of the fish and the Scenery (I saw a Black Bear!) The pictures will be on a different post. Keep an eye out for it!

That is a good Idea, Mr. Mikechell. I think I'll do that. Thanks! Hey, does anyone like my new profile picture?

TIER, Did you catch the salmon on a fly rod? If so, how was the experience? Were you using one of the flies you tied yourself?

How big of a hook does it take to catch a salmon? I know that they catch them in Michigan, which isn't too far from me, but I don't know any details. Based on the boat I saw you standing near, I suppose you may have been fishing with a down-rigger?

TIER, Did you catch the salmon on a fly rod? If so, how was the experience? Were you using one of the flies you tied yourself?

How big of a hook does it take to catch a salmon? I know that they catch them in Michigan, which isn't too far from me, but I don't know any details. Based on the boat I saw you standing near, I suppose you may have been fishing with a down-rigger?

I did not catch the salmon on a fly. I snagged them (It's Legal). I am planning on fly fishing next weekend, when I go again. The boat I live on is in the background of the dog salmon picture. We are pulling it out next weekend ):. I snagged them from shore at dock point (I'm going to take a picture for Mark Knapp, because he likes salmon, too). I am going to post a picture of me at Alison Point with a Pink Salmon that I caught a few weeks ago. I do fish off my boat, though. See this link. www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88678&hl=%2Bfish+%2Bpictures . The 6th, 7th, and 8th pictures were on the boat. We were going to go trolling, but we didn't because of bad weather.

You must have caught them in the pond?? When I was in Homer AK they had a manmade pond connected to the ocean by a small, short stream. Every year tehy would stock the pond. When of age the salmon of course return to the pond to spawn, where they can be snagged legally. It looked to me like the chum had been in fresh water a while by its coloration. Is duck point part of the pond?? Or am I out to lunch?

It was all in the salt, Meeshka. Dock point is just a cove near valdez. No pond in Valdez, exept for a small trout pond (no salmon in that one.)

Salmon can be caught in the ocean with classic fly gear, no down rigger, and no extra weight.

IMG_4498.JPG

This silver and others were caught in Seward on my boat, the Non-Pelagic Squid, on a fly I call the Salmon Fork Smolt.

Nice fish Tier. Salmon on fly gear is a blast. I'm sure you could do it off of Alison Point.

I tried that. Didn't work. But I had small tackle. Someday we need to meet at Valdez. BTW nice fish, Mr. Knapp! But my 8wt broke, so I don't have a salmon rod.