Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jakeryan

Is there really a wrong way to tie a fly?

I am pretty new at this so excuse my ignorance,but there are literally thousands upon thousands of different flies tied by people that all look different.Size,shape,color,materials,etc. Sure the fly patterns that have been around for decades have a certain way they need/should look,but it seems like I see tons of flies that guys come up with that are pretty much something they came up with on their own one day. I'm not saying this is a bad thing by any means, and if it catches fish and/or looks good in a frame then so be it. I was just wondering if I was way off base im my observations. And by the way I have discovered that this fly tying is a whole lot of fun!!!

There are incorrect techniques. Methods that won't hold the material securely while the fly is being used.

I've been told there are times when those intellectual trout will not take any fly that hasn't been stamped by the USDA.

Other than that, no, I don't think there's a "wrong" way to tie a fly.

I've never owned a fly tying book. (got a couple in a grab bag a while back, sold them) I've tried to copy an online pattern a couple of times.

Most of the flies I tie and use, however, are ones I came up with before I even knew there were fly patterns online.

I think there is a wrong way to tie a fly. Patterns evolved because they work on trout by imitating food. Colors are important. Less important with warm water fish, like bream and bass. Proportions make the fly float, if that's what you're tying, dries.

You can tie a less-than-perfect fly or even a kinda ratty fly that will catch fish. But I don't see a reason to not stick to a pattern. Get yourself a pattern book, preferably one that has techniques. It's not an any old thing will do discipline.

Jakeryan:

Almost seems like this is two questions really. One is why do we have so many patterns and does it matter, but the title seems to address more technique than anything else. With regards to the latter question, no, there is no wrong way to tie a fly, but there are almost always better ways to tie one. As long as the fly does what is required to do and does not fly apart on the first cast, and it catches fish, then it is a 'good' fly in my opinion. But there are more efficient and less efficient ways to tie a given pattern, so the "right" way for me is the approach that is easiest, least time consuming, and aesthetically pleasing, but that is a subjective judgement nothing more. There are no 'rules' to fly tying, just guidelines that you may choose to follow or not.

With regards to the question of the number of patterns out there and does it matter, the answer is maybe. Very rarely are the patterns that make it to the catalogs just thrown together. More often than not they are proven patterns submitted by known experienced tiers and fishers/guides, and vetted by folks who of course need to sell flies, so they judge the submissions to be either useful or not (minimum requirement is would they catch fly fishers). The market determines the longevity and persistence of the pattern. You could take a cynical approach and just say they are in it for the money, and they are, but they are just capitalizing on the age-old quest of every fly tier -- to discover the magic pattern that will always catch fish. We will probably (hopefully) never reach this lofty goal, but part of the fun of tying is the quest, whether we are consciously aware of it or not. I see pattern catalogs as sources of inspiration, and all the folks I know who have successfully submitted patterns first tested them on the water extensively, so I see adopting these patterns as a time saving measure so I do not have to spend the time testing my own creations, or at least as many of them. YMMV.

From the Oxford English Dictionary (OED):

I think definition A II 5a would be the one that applies here: "Not in conformity with some standard, rule, or principle; deviating from that which is correct or proper; contrary to, at variance with, what one approves or regards as right."

(italics and boldface formatting mine).

In other words, "wrong" is in the eye of the beholder--or, in this case, the fly tier. If you are holding yourself to some "standard, rule, or principle", and your methods and/or end result deviate from that, then what you've done is "wrong". It's the "holding yourself to" part that matters, as I see it--before something can be "wrong", the person judging it has to buy into the idea (that is, the artificial human construct) that there is a "right".

Who gets to say what's "right"? Well, that depends on who you ask. I'm not even touching the lid on that can of worms.

Bottom line, in my book --at least when it comes to inconsequential matters like how one ties a fishing fly-- if you think it's "wrong", then it is...for you.

I don't think any of us has the right to go telling other people what's "right" or "wrong" when it comes to tying flies, or, for that matter any kind of recreational activity. A recreational activity, by definition, is done for the sake of enjoyment. If you enjoy what you're doing, then you've succeeded at it. If you let other people tell you "You're doing it wrong", then, in my opinion, you've kind of missed the point.

I guess I should rephrase my question. Im sure that technique is very important or it just wouldnt do what it needed to do. I guess my question was directed more towards the pattern aspect. Certain materials have to be tied in a certain way or it fails..period. Just seems like I see lots of variations,if you will, of fly patterns. Some are "old school" and some are the "hey this popped in my head so I tried it out". Case in point,I probably tie more marabou style jigs for panfish than anything. Sometimes I combine methods and end up with something of a marabou jig/wooly bugger mix or a marabou jig with wings, or a jig tied with dubbing rather than chenille,etc. Hope this clears up what I was really trying to say.

To answer your question, No there is no wrong way to tie a fly. There is only a wrong way to present a fly. I've seen fish, all fish, including trout, lots of trout, take the most screwed up offering. Trout were suckers for a piece of yard held on a hook with a split shot when I was a dumb ten year old. Somehow as I got older as I was led to believe that trout are difficult to catch and will only take a presentation fly. Fact is, if presented correctly any fish will take a piece of yarn over a presentation fly presented wrong.

Case in point:

Panfish attractor.jpg

My "Panfish Attractor" was my idea. I tied it to provide a weed-resistant Bluegill presentation. It's my go to fly.

After joining this site, I found out there are a few patterns very similar to it.

As has been stated above, there are patterns that require exactitude. Classic, antique patterns that some people revere as sacred. This type of fly needs to be tied in exact proportions, with exact materials (if available) and on proper hooks.

For display ... there is definitely a proper way to tie up a fly. For fishing, there is no such thing as an improperly tied fly, if it catches fish.

For starting out, the patterns are a good guide to learn some proportion and to imitate certain food items. I wouldn't worry about using the exact same body material. Switching dubbing for chenille shouldn't prevent the fly from functioning. I try to keep colors fairly accurate when tying an imitator type of a pattern. I take a few more liberties with attractor patterns. When tying classics, I usually try to stick with the original pattern. Sometimes that is not possible, due to rarity, laws and the like. In the end, as long as the fly holds together and you are happy with the results, you are doing well. Most patterns have been improved on over the years, and most will evolve further as new materials and techniques come into the hobby. None of the classic dry flies were made with synthetic dubbing, but many even are tied with flash these days. All of the wet flies I have seen for fishing incorporate new materials. (Usually flash and dubbing)

At one time, (Back when Reagan was still in office!) I was going to tie up a group of framed salmon flies, accurately tied to the 16 essential patterns in George Leonard Herter's book. Just for fun, look up the pattern for Richardson's Game Keeper and then decide if you are going to tie directly to the pattern! I can't even remember what I actually used to tie the fly, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten thrown out of College if I had gotten drunk and gone off looking for materials!

As already stated, if you are happy with it that is all that matters.

With that being said it does help to follow a few guide lines when putting materials on the hook. A good tying book will prove a valuable reference.

The only real rules are #1 The thread must go on first. #2 Have fun with your new addiction.

I don't think there is a wrong way to tie a fly...but there are many ways to accomplish the same (or similar) end result. The more you can tie with other people, the more tips and tricks you will pick up. Use what works for you - either in materials or techniques. Remember, it is the fish that will ultimately judge your flies (unless you are going for display flies) and many times the neatest fly isn't the one that grabs all of the fish.

If you are tying an established PATTERN (recipe), then yes follow the accepted procedures. Pick one of any time tested, well known, functional patterns- I don't know, say a White Wulff dry fly for example. Each element is present for a specific purpose. The colors are established. Yes there is a correct way to tie it.

Don't tie some variation of something and call it by an established name. Your interpretation of a well known pattern is not THE well known pattern... Don't tie an Adams with a purple body and oversize hackle, and call it an Adams.

If you are tying a STYLE of fly with variations and modifications from the established pattern, still don't call it something it's not. Take for example my favorite example of this- the Clouser Deep Minnow. It's a style instead of a pattern, because it can have all variations of colors and even materials to a point, and still be a CDM, IF certain design elements are kept (eye placement, "belly" material placement and tie in method, etc). There are about five million fly tiers (maybe more) though, who put lead eyes on a hook, and whatever else happens they call their creation a "Clouser".

To me that is disrespectful of the originator and all the R and D that went into perfecting the style. So yes, there are wrong ways to do things.

If you are being creative and coming up with things on your own, or modifying certain elements of patterns or styles to see how they work, then NO, there is no wrong way to do it- ASSuming, as Mike said above, the stuff you are fastening to your hook stays put.

Some times I see streamers that are tied too dense. Way too much buck tail. Will it catch fish? Probably. Is it tied wrong, uh, sort of.

i don,t know how many times i,d be trimming(butchering?) a hair bug and come up with a completely new pattern.lol.