Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
T_Bone

dumb bell eyes.

I'm thinking about tying some double bunnies with DB eyes. I was thinking about it the other day and I saw some videos. Should I tie them hook point up or down? I asked the same question in a Facebook group but the response I had was with DB eyes you have to tie hook point up. I don't believe this is correct. Can't you tie the eyes on the other side of the hook too?

I'm thinking I will likely tie these hook point up, and should I use Extra weight on the shank?

Thanks in advance for any feedback provided.

-T

1. You can tie the DB on any side of a shank to achieve the hook point orientation you want BUT you need to ensure the hook has enough gape to allow the fish to be hooked. So a hook like Allen B200 Bass Bug would not really be affected by tying above or below as the gape is very wide. The S401 though would see the available gape affected quite quickly unless you used very small bead chain eyes.

If you add weight along the shank it will work just as well and then just glue eyes on after.

Well I tried Dumbell eyes on some old hooks I bought out of the odd ball box behind the counter today. There were not any bass bug hooks around but these old Mustad 3161's in a size 6 with an off centered hook point had a larger than average gape. Plus I think because of the twist on the hook it may make the fly that much more erratic.