Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Losing posts because of Facebook...

Now this of course sounds stupid, and it is. I've only gotten to get into FB in the last year or so because others push me on it. So I'm doing a lot of quick posts on FB and all you have to do after you type is hit Enter to complete it. Often screw up and have to go back and edit to finish because I hit something to post it before I finish. So then you finish and just hit Enter. So if I get active on FB for a few days and then come onto this or other boards I much prefer over FB I've typed a nice, fairly long thread, hit Enter, went on to something else and realized I never actually posted my thread but now I've lost it since Enter doesn't Submit a post on the boards.

Kind of aggravating and I'm doing less on FB all the time except for a some fishing and fly tying sections since it's become so political lately showing the growing chasm between the left and right in this country. I can do without that and let them have their memes and shares and attacks to themselves. Another thing with FB is on the board like this you hit Enter to make a paragraph break. On FB you just finished your post and it's done unless you go and edit.

Anyone else do much with FB? Oh yeah, I do like the local free ads and buy and sell groups. Lots of goodies out there and I THINK there's less spam and hacking attempts than there is on Craig's List.

I do some, but honestly I don't really care for Fb and only reason I even bother with it is because so many people I know use it now over forums that I pretty much have to just to keep in touch with them. I really don't like it a whole lot though. I much prefer forums because to me FB is more or less just a bragging board or political garbage outlet for some people. Forums are more more personal and friendly that FB is IMO.

I agree, Facebook is for bragging and collecting likes and friend counts. I find it comical that people count their FB friends as friends. I have no personal experience with Facebook since I've never had an account and never will. The stated and expressed reasons for Facebook seem silly to me, keeping in touch or reconnecting with friends, looking at pictures, etc... to me those reasons sound much like subscribing to playboy because you like the articles or you go to Hooters because they have good wings. Keeping in touch with friends does not require Facebook. Looking at family pictures does not require Facebook.

I'm not on facebook because I DON'T want to keep in touch with family. I don't want to see their pictures ... I don't care about their kids, etc.

Wife IS on facebook, but she's mostly playing games with people, and keeping in touch with friends from childhood. It's fun for her, and she HAS reconnected with people she hasn't seen for decades. She also has a political wall that she gets into good discussions on. Since we generally hate people ... we haven't made ANY near our home. So the old ones from school days are enough for her.

This site is enough for me.

Keeping in touch with friends does not require Facebook. Looking at family pictures does not require Facebook.

Disagree with that thinking there man. I have numerous distant family such as cousins and uncles/aunts that are down South that I never get to see and don't talk to all that often yet I do get to see their pics of events and such on FB. So yes for me and many others it is a way of keeping in touch and at least knowing what is going on in their lives. While I personally would rather talk to them on the phone to keep in touch, there's a lot of people these days that are not "phone people" and don't like to talk on the phone so things like Fb are the only way to actually somewhat stay connected with them.

I setup a Face Book account but I am never on it. The only reason I set it up was because the fishing club has an account.

My wife has an account so I hear all I want to hear.

I have a couple of cousins who are sisters. One is republican and the other a staunch democrat. The arguments the get into are ridiculous. One time my nephew and his wife was having a tiff. Yep, it all played out on Face Book. Mom finally told them to stop it. We didn't need or want to hear that s--t.

My wife is on FB a lot, myself not often, but I have sisters on one coast and she has brothers and sisters on the other coast, our son and some of the grandkids are 130000 miles away in Florida and FB is an excellent way to keep up with all the extended family . Sure you can find plenty drama and jerry springer candidates but you don't have to.

FB does eat up a ton of space on the computer requiring frequent cleaning and it slows the DSL down to a crawl some times.

... some of the grandkids are 130000 miles away in Florida ...

Where do you live? The Lagrange point between Earth and the Moon?

i used to be on facebook but no longer go there

i dont think facebook is guilty of losing your long typed post

Keeping in touch with friends does not require Facebook. Looking at family pictures does not require Facebook.

Disagree with that thinking there man. I have numerous distant family such as cousins and uncles/aunts that are down South that I never get to see and don't talk to all that often yet I do get to see their pics of events and such on FB. So yes for me and many others it is a way of keeping in touch and at least knowing what is going on in their lives. While I personally would rather talk to them on the phone to keep in touch, there's a lot of people these days that are not "phone people" and don't like to talk on the phone so things like Fb are the only way to actually somewhat stay connected with them.

I get it but looking at pictures is not staying connected, it's looking at pictures. I speak to them on the phone. I see them on holidays. I guess I'm sort of like Mike, minus the hate, but I don't care to look at pictures of people Who I already know what they look like. I know what they look like if they were on a beach, mountain, cloud or at a picnic. If you don't want to or can't find a few minutes to speak to me then I would have no desire to maintain a pictorial relationship just to "stay connected." Being friend or family can never be replaced with some kind of virtual relationship. I think I just turned into my dad.

If you don't want to or can't find a few minutes to speak to me then I would have no desire to maintain a pictorial relationship just to "stay connected." Being friend or family can never be replaced with some kind of virtual relationship

See thats there is 100% why you & are are alike (God thats scary!) LOL. Trust me bud I am exactly that way, IMO if I call and you don't answer, and I call again, and again and ya still don't answer then I would never do that. But so many people these days man thats why they do. They wont pick up the phone or reply to anything other than FB or Twitter (I never have even been on twitter just FYI) but thats how some people are.

I totally 100% get ya thogh Greg, what you are saying is honestly how I feel too. But sad thing is, thats not how the majority of people are these days. Its all about social media, which sucks IMO and is anything but "social".

... some of the grandkids are 130000 miles away in Florida ...

Where do you live? The Lagrange point between Earth and the Moon?

Too bad this site doesn't have a "like button" lol I would have "liked" this!

Mike B