Fly Tying

Hello,

So as my children ran around blowing up every balloon they could find I started to wonder has anyone ever tried using latex balloons in fly tying?

They come in a variety of colors and cost pennies.

Yes, I know I could run down to the local fly shop and pick up several packages but for trying something new I wonder if this would work.

Anyone try it?

Surgical gloves?

Other sources?

Have a relaxing Sunday everyone.

- FlyTieDad

I've used pourable latex for crab & flounder patterns, but I wasn't particularly impressed by the stuff. It tended to stiffen up and was difficult to color. Even permanent marker ink wore off pretty fast. The sheets would probably be better if you find a use for the stuff. I got the pourable latex at a craft store.

I've used latex gloves. Hard to cut straight strips out, but not impossible.

No kids ( biggrin.png Yea!! ) so no balloons.

I've used latex gloves. Hard to cut straight strips out, but not impossible.

No kids ( :D Yea!! ) so no balloons.

I use a Roto cutter...works fine for getting straight cuts on foam and latex

The move away from latex gloves in hospitals is because of latex allergies. There are rare reports of fatal reactions.

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(01)70198-4/abstract

The problem with natural latex is that is degraded be light and ozone.

I used to tie scuds using natural latex but stopped when I discovered the latex had broken down. A replacement for Hareline Scudback that is identical to the original. Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

35724586655_da5bc33db2_z.jpg35593320821_82d40da221.jpg

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

34883025784_ee23148cb9_z.jpg

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

34883025664_0452f4904f_z.jpg

This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

35593320931_37608957b2_z.jpg

I use biogel gloves, but that's when I'm at work haha Look for tourniquet material that is disposable at a medical store, usually comes in about a 50-100yd amount and will last forever.

After reading the first few posts I was about to post about the way latex breaks down etc. but Silver has beaten me to it, so I will just echo his post.
There is one latex material which is stabilised, and does not break down, that is Nymph Skin from Virtual Nymph.

I must declare an interest here, in that I work with Dale demonstrating VN products at various shows etc.

Of course Nymph Skin carries a price tag appropriate to the market it is sold in. You do though, get a generous amount for your money, it is cut to size at either 3mm or 4.5 mm wide. It comes in a huge range of colours. If you factor in your time, and trouble, trying to cut latex out of the likes of rubber gloves, it is not expensive. Currently it sells at £2:65 here. Considering it was £2.20 20 years ago, that's not bad (Sorry I don't know the current £/$ rates, is it below 1/1 yet?). It is also an incredibly versatile product.

Cheers,

C.

After reading the first few posts I was about to post about the way latex breaks down etc. but Silver has beaten me to it, so I will just echo his post.

There is one latex material which is stabilised, and does not break down, that is Nymph Skin from Virtual Nymph.

I must declare an interest here, in that I work with Dale demonstrating VN products at various shows etc.

Of course Nymph Skin carries a price tag appropriate to the market it is sold in. You do though, get a generous amount for your money, it is cut to size at either 3mm or 4.5 mm wide. It comes in a huge range of colours. If you factor in your time, and trouble, trying to cut latex out of the likes of rubber gloves, it is not expensive. Currently it sells at £2:65 here. Considering it was £2.20 20 years ago, that's not bad (Sorry I don't know the current £/$ rates, is it below 1/1 yet?). It is also an incredibly versatile product.

Cheers,

C.

I have to echo what Crackaig is saying about the Virtual Nymph product.

I brought some Natural in just to test it out and am very happy with it.

It has a thickness to it that I can't duplicate with latex from a latex glove or Kiley's Nymph Skin(Hardline).

There is one characteristic that I can't duplicate with Nymph Skin. I like to add drop of

CA as I am wrapping latex which turns the latex translucent.

As to the latex deteriorating after a period of time a coating UV Knot Sense seems to prevent that from happening.

I have scuds that are 5-6 years old that are holding up just fine.

For a period of time Hardline had discontinued its natural latex strips and cutting your

own strips from latex the only alternative. It's nice to have the VN Nymph Skin, Kiley's Nymph Skin and

"homemade" latex strips as part of the tool box each with their own characteristics.

Kimo

Kimo ... I DOUBT that you have scuds that are 5 or 6 years old. What you have are the offspring of the ones you tied 5 or 6 years ago. Yes, they're breeding in your fly boxes !!!

Hey ... I'm headed back to Oahu for two weeks. Want me to bring you anything from home?