Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Newbies first brassies

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 870ExpressMag

870ExpressMag

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

Newbie tyer first attempt at little hooks. These are by far the smallest I have tied yet, Dai-Riki #125 sz16. Tied using tight line video YouTube video as guide. Couple of things I learned and observed....
1. After watching tons of tying videos with the wonderful zoom features on new cameras, these things are MUCH smaller than they look on film.
2. First time using UTC 70denier thread, definitely acts different than UNI 8/0 but wasn't hard to manage
3. Not sure I like Rite bobbin holders, love the smoothness, but gripping is downright weird
4. Peacock hurl is fragile, learned I can't wrap it like wire.
5. Trying to put small beads on small hooks, you guys know what I mean there.
6. Using standard jaws in my PEAK rotary vise, I'm thinking midge jaws may be helpful on these hooks.

Comments and suggestions welcome. First one tied on top, last one on bottom

Attached File  F5DB8D2B-3F24-4A37-936A-DC365B1243F4.jpg   73.12KB   5 downloads

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,858 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

I don't tie anything that small, so I can only guess at what it's like.  Like eating couscous one piece at a time with a fork.

They look good to me!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

Great work, keep it up
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#4 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

Im not a freshwater guy but those look like trout candy to me

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#5 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:19 AM

if the intent is to have gaps in the wire body, then disregard the following tip

to achieve a body without gaps, angle the wire slightly back to the bend while wrapping forward in touching turns

touching%20turns_zpsis4mcidu.jpg

after inserting a bead onto a hook, i always insert the wire inside of it as shown below. the wire will be covered by the bead and is something that doesnt need to be done but after years of doing it that way its now a habit. plus it provides a nice smooth underbody

wire%20inside%20bead_zpsa5zafumw.jpg

orange%20brassie_zpspavxy4iv.jpg

Some of the worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor

#7 870ExpressMag

870ExpressMag

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

thanks for the tips, yes the bottom one was the last one tied.  and the gaps in the wire were not intended, i didn't even notice them until i took the picture, to my naked eye they appeared tighter together than the picture revealed, ill try a few more and post results

#8 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

They look great for first try flies.They will definitely catch fish.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#9 Wetsock

Wetsock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Nice job not getting a space between wire wraps is the hardest part of this fly. Peak should handle 16 just fine. My griffin goes from 24 to 0/1 without a issue I would think the Peak would too. Try a few simple midge and the 16 will seem big.

#10 870ExpressMag

870ExpressMag

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

I tied 4 more tonight and I'd like to think I improved, but I think it's a toss up. I think my wife wraps are a bit tighter, however I'm having trouble starting the wire wraps and not exposing thread. Seems as if I get the thread covered good, the wire wants to keep going further around the bend not towards the eye, when I get it to go towards the eye I have exposed thread, haven't gotten that figured out yet. Pulling towards the bend definitely helps tighten the wraps against themselves. I found the wire much easier to wrap if I whip finish my thread and put in the cradle, however I think the whip finish adds to much bulk in the middle and gives me a bump, so after I tied these 4 I went back to YouTube and a bare hook and learned to half hitch, I will try this next time. Also it seems like a toss up on weather my thorax looks full or not, seems it's 50/50 on weather the long fiber on the hurl poke out or not, i don't like it when they point in and get wrapped inside the hurl stem.

First fly on top, last on bottom
Attached File  IMG_0170.JPG   70.86KB   0 downloads

Last fly in vise
Attached File  IMG_0169.JPG   88.59KB   0 downloads

4 from last night are closest to you in pic, 4 from tonight are furthest away, first fly on left, last on right
Attached File  IMG_0172.JPG   168.77KB   0 downloads

#11 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:51 AM

i am gonna assume you are watching this video

1. watch how he starts the first wrap of wire around the bend of the hook. he begins the wrap perpendicular to the hook shank and keeps wrapping that way towards the eye of the hook

2. in your photo #2 above, you had trouble with wrapping a peacock herl thorax. try using black dubbing instead

3. if you still want to use peacock herl, reinforce it by wrapping it around your hanging tying thread to create a peacock herl chenille. then wrap the thorax

4. tie them on a straight hook. thats how they were tied originally. here is how i really tie brassies

brassie.jpg

Some of the worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor