Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Well I Got Materials Today

And I still don't have the stuff I need.

I bought:

Hooks:

Mustad 94840.... Have no clue why. I think they got mixed in with the other stuff.

TMC 2457 for sowbugs

TMC 5262 for poppers

No Wolly Bugger sized hooks though dunno.gif

Materials:

1/8" Beads

Ultra Wire

140 Olive Waxed Thread

6/0 Black Waxed Thread

3 Packs of Maribou (Olive, Brown, White)

3 Packs of Chenille (Olive, Brown, White)

3 Packs of Sowbug Dubbing (Light, Amber, Olive)

2 Packs of Flashabou (Accent Pearl, Light Blue/Pearl)

1 Large Bucktail (Natural)

12 popper bodies

Still don't have the hooks and hackle for wolly buggers. Tapped out my material fund on this stuff. The whole time I am thinking and wishing that I would have gotten a kit.

I know that I will use this stuff and needed it, but I still didn't get everything that I needed for the stuff I wanted to tie.

Gotta burn the Cabela's so I won't look at it and get mad because I didn't listen to my gut instinct. ive_been_ripped.gif

Remember what I said in your other post swampy... .

"You may think your getting what you need in the kit...but your not"

Well it still holds true. Once you started using the stuff in the kit your opinion of the kit would have changed pretty quickly wink.gif 99% of the guys here agreed that kits are not the way to go so trust the experiance and know you did the right thing.

You got the chinelle and Marabou, so all you need is a $3 strung hackle and a pack of hook and your set for doing some buggers wink.gif

What did the rest of your budget go for? cuz you said you had a $200 budget and thats not $200 worth of stuff.

I know that I got a really good deal, and I do mean a really good deal since I compared it with other places and I came out WAY ahead. But I look at the picture in the Cabela's and see all of this stuff and all I have is like a really small amount of stuff compared to the picture. laugh.gif Maybe I can open everything I have and lay it out and then it would look like more?? hysterical.gif

Actually I truely know I am way ahead of the game without the kit, but I want more stuff now. biggrin.gif

I have a DanVise and a really nice tool kit coming. That's what I spent alot of the fund on. I bought the best I could afford like was suggested to me.

I came out really well on everything I bought and learned some really cool ways to tie stuff. I really can't complain at all.

You just have to understand that I want stacks and stacks of stuff..... doesn't matter if I can use it or not. devil.gif

For about 5$ bucks you can get those wooly bugger hooks.9672-9671.And have enough for 50 buggers.Another thing is you wouldn't believe how many buggers you can get out of one package of marabou.94840 hook is a dry fly hook why yes.unless going to tie caddis if just begining.

"You may think your getting what you need in the kit...but your not"

Yes you might think you would get a better deal with a kit,but truly you don't.just think this way.everything you have their if came in a kit would be cut down to about a quater of that.25% or less.I started out with a kit and wished i didn't 2 years ago.

just my thought on this.Also for your first vice the DanVise is a great vice.wish i picked one up sonner.Does all those fancy things those high price vices do but cheeper.

tt

Swamphunter little advise watch the darn video for the vise.took me a month to figure why i could not get the rotory to work right. wallbash.gif Can we say daaaaaaaaaaa.

tt

Ah ok ya got the Danvise and tool headbang.gif In that case then your gonna be even farther ahead of the game than I thought.

I know what your saying, picture looks like you can order a small fly shop right from the catalog laugh.gif Dont worry that will all come in time, before you know it you'll be havin to buy tupperware bins to store all your materials in.

If you ebay at all then go and type in "fly tying", dont ever buy any of the junk tools or crap like that off ebay, but man you can get some smokin deals on hooks and other good materials from ebay headbang.gif

I hope it comes with a video. If not I might take it apart to try to fix it. unsure.gif

Oh I did get a filing cabinet type thingy at the dollar store for about $6.00. It has alot of empty space so I need to fill the voids there too. bugeyes.gif

I don't do Ebay, and glad of it too. Normally I don't buy anything online. No credit cards but basic essential cards either. Learned my lesson along time ago. laugh.gif I found out along time ago that my wants and credit cards don't mix. wallbash.gif

Nope can't do Ebay! cry.gif

If I could, THIS is what I would bid on. yahoo.gif Probably wouldn't be able to use half of the stuff there, but it would give me my fix of gathering. biggrin.gif

Joanne fabrics, Michaels, and other craft stores could help. Mind you...there is "crap" that can be baught but there are some things there that come in handy.

FD

Hello everyone.

I am really new to tying and don't know much about it yet, but I received as a gift a Cabela's fly tying kit, and there is no way I could have ever started tying without it and the associated video and manual. For the $50 or so that such a kit typically averages (some more), this is in my opinion the way for someone to even see if they might be interested in tying. I wish I had been able to do something similar with many of my other long-lost interests... would have saved me countless thousands over the years.

I admit that the scissors with my kit were crap, with mismatched points and all. But for someone who has no one to assist them, a kit is the perfect way for me to get my line wet, so to speak.

Thanks for all the great discussions on this site. I am learning a lot.

-Eddie Sutton

East Tennessee

Eddie,

Good call on the kit. Still wish I would have went that route. Been alot cheaper out in the beginning and had alot more to work with than what I have now, plus I would have had instructions for alot of different flies.

Hi Eddie,

I started off many years ago with a fly tying kit by Eric Leiser, it got me started but knowing what I do now I would have done it a little different.

I would have bought a good pattern book, decided which flies I wanted to tie then bought material for them.That way I wouldn't have a lot of things I never use. I guess I did use it all eventually but most kits only allow you to tie three of four different flies.