Fly Tying
Piker20

Permethrin based repellents

ok, so after another tick today I am definately going to invest in something to spray all over my fishing clothes and keep the little bast*rds off. I use a product for Midges called smidge and so far have found it 100%, well ok 99.9999% effective for flying nasties but for the ticks I have been looking at this, last upto 6 months http://www.salveo.co.uk/nikwax-skitostop-spray-for-fabrics.html?gclid=CPmzxvKBjLgCFcXKtAodwlwA6Q

but its sold for tents as opposed to trousers and there does seem to be an issue in the UK with licences for fabric so Nikwax cant sell it for this.

But I've also heard TCP is great for keeping you free of ticks. Seems you water it down a little in a spray bottle and squirt away. Anyone here used TCP before?

Any recommendations for Permethrin based products.

I have used a product called ULTRAthon that is Permethrin based. It seems to work, but I may not have been exposed to ticks????? To me the directions and warnings make the product a little scary to use. For example, it says to not apply to under garments, underwear, hat and caps. Yet it says to apply it to socks, pants and shirts. My socks, pants and shirts come into direct contact with my skin just like my underwear and hat does.

I was especially courious about the not applying it to a hat warning so I called their help line. They said it's because of the potential to sweat on the treated fabric and that moisture coming into contact with your skin, eyes, etc. I neglected to ask them about under arm sweat or the hazards of wearing a treated fabric in the rain.

Maybe all the warnings are to cover their butt for legal reasons???? Anyway, read the label carefully and decide for your self if it is safe.

Funny you posted this topic because I just bought some Permethrin tick spray myself last week in preperation for 2 weeks at my cabin fishing in July. This year the ticks have been BAD BAD BAD up in northern Michigan, worst I have ever seen them. Based on advice from a buddy here (Chefben) I picked up some of this http://www.sawyer.com/tech-bugs1.html I have not used it yet but Ben swears by it and everyone that has said they use it seems to say it is the best stuff out there.

Seems similar to the nikwax stuff. A lot of the forestry guys here who spend everyday in ticks seem to be sold with the TCP antiseptic and at £2 for 200mls it is a lot cheaper when watered down to keep applying as needed. Might try that first and report back in 4 months when the trout season ends and I'm not going near the long grass. Beauty of salt, no ticks on the beach!

permethrin is great for keeping the ticks off of you the ticks are terrible in hunting season. I buy straight permethrin at the feed store and mix it myself and spray on my hunting clothes no noticable odor and it works last bear season my brother had like 30 ticks on him and I had zero so the next day he was using my spray. It seems to work best when the permethrin is at least 15 percent in the spray. good luck

Permethrin ... If I am not mistaken ... is NOT a repellent. It is an insecticide that kills ticks, mosquitoes and the like. It is a neuro-toxin for those little beasties. It is not easily absorbed by the skin of mammals, but it can be absorbed through mucus membranes and areas of the body high in sweat glands (underarms and crotch areas, for example).

It is not to be sprayed on the skin due to the danger of introduction through scratches, cuts, or contact with the eyes.

Be careful using it as a skin applied repellent. Applied to the clothes, it work fast enough to kill ticks before they can get into feeding position.

Yep its a killer not a deterrent. It will be for soaking clothes in. Definately not for spraying on myself.

Permethrin ... If I am not mistaken ... is NOT a repellent. It is an insecticide that kills ticks, mosquitoes and the like. It is a neuro-toxin for those little beasties. It is not easily absorbed by the skin of mammals, but it can be absorbed through mucus membranes and areas of the body high in sweat glands (underarms and crotch areas, for example).

It is not to be sprayed on the skin due to the danger of introduction through scratches, cuts, or contact with the eyes.

Be careful using it as a skin applied repellent. Applied to the clothes, it work fast enough to kill ticks before they can get into feeding position.

Ding Ding DING! We got a winner.

Never tried TCP. If it works please let us know.

Skinny

Ding Ding DING! We got a winner.

Never tried TCP. If it works please let us know.

Skinny

It is used as a repellent because you treat your clothes with it and then let them dry for 2 hrs then it keeps the ticks away from you the same as any other repellent. You are correct that you do not put it on your skin (says so right on the bottle) but you treat your clothes, tent, gear bag etc etc, let dry for 2 hours, then it does act as a repellent to keep them off of you. Whether it kills them or not it still repels them from getting on you so I'd still consider that a repellent as long as it prevents them from getting on you. Same can be said for high Deet repellents. I use 100% and most bottles of that say to avoid contact directly with skin/eyes/etc etc but it's still a repellent.

Repels them, kills them, makes them turn into harmless pretty butterflies on contact lol....doesn't matter to me as long as it keeps them off me then I consider it a repellent wink.png

I just did an 8hr round trip to the cabin yesterday where I spent 4 hrs there raking, mowing, weed wacking, cleaning and put down Ortho bug b gon spray and other treatments all around the cabin to kill them little buggers so we can be tick free for vacation in 2 weeks.