Fly Tying
scgobbler

How to Clean My Renzetti Master Vise

Hello all,

I am getting back into fly tying after about a 15 year hiatus.

I found my Renzetti Master over the weekend and I am curious how to best clean it.

It was shiny aluminum. Now it's all turned.

What could I use to clean it. Syna-King has a video using WD-40 and marine lubricant. Are these sade or the Master and traveler series?

Yes, it just looks like tarnish.

I'll try some WD-40 first to see what happens. It was in my old traveling fly tying bag and when I opened it, it was a bit tarnished.

Does Aluminum Rust?

Aluminum corrodes but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion.

Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum (dull gray to powdery white in color), so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.

When iron corrodes the color changes and it actually expands. This expanding and color change can produce large red flakes that we all know as rust. Unlike aluminum oxide, the expanding and flaking off of rust exposes new metal to further rusting. This is why it is so important to provide a barrier so rust doesn't start.

While aluminium doesn't rust, it often becomes dull from corrosion, and is often encrusted with brake dust, calcium, lime, tarnish, grease, oil and hard water stains. Simply washing it off, will not work, you need something stronger and more effective to do the job. We recommend Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean to remove the surface grime, corrosion and buildup followed by Flitz polish (paste or liquid) to restore a brilliant shine. Works great on fuel tanks, gas pumps, mag/alcoa wheels, diamond plate, framing, step plate, engine parts, and more.

2855 is what it says under the brake collar.

Now that I look at it, my traveler is far more tarnished than the master.

The traveler was in the fly tying back next to a padded pouch that has dry-rotted a bit and the soft, cushiony lining peeled away.

Doesn't hurt the vise at all, just looks weathered and dull grey.

I use navel jelly and superfine steel wool or Never Dull Wadding. It does not take much to get the shine back.

Never Dull with clean bugs off of Chrome, and will polish up your aluminum vise no problem. I used it a lot on reels.

All good advice but I've got to ask what the problem with the dull finish? Unless it is oxidized to where it is effecting function, then I wouldn't worry bout it. I like mine with the dull grey finish.

Kirk

I agree with Kirk. Every tool ( and a vice is a tool ) I have ever bought is now no where near as pretty when on the shelf in the store but still does the job intended.

I do however make an effort to keep my fly rods and reels looking nice.

You'll find a dull finish is easier on the eyes than a shiny finish while at your tying bench.

Oooh,,, NevrDull,,, doesn't that bring back memories of boot camp.. haven't thought of that smell in years.

Oooh,,, NevrDull,,, doesn't that bring back memories of boot camp.. haven't thought of that smell in years.

:D Me neither. Until now...

How about Brasso? Used to polish my Dad's brass for him while he was in the Army.
SGN0095.jpg

Kimo