Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Musky Fly, what is your favorite type of fly to tie

Tied this one up last night after watching a video on facebook. A tip in the video really helped me get my bucktail to flare. I tie thousands of nymphs a year but musky flies are by far my favorite thing to tie. I love that there are not set rules on them, no real proportions to keep in check and such. I have never caught one yet, but hoping to change that this year.

So with that being said, what type of fly really trips your trigger to tie?

post-43467-0-81293000-1518188245_thumb.jpg

Terrific tie! It works on many levels.

Head will push water

Buck tail will pulse

Saddles will provide a lot of action

My ties differ based on the body of water I am fishing.

Basically sub surface with a WTD action. I like to present an alternating profile and look like it has a darting movement. Lastly, it needs to have cast ability if I am going to throw a 10 or 12 weight 10 hours a day. Have a great fishing season and put one in the boat. A big one is a life changing experience.

Tom

Since I am not a "Fly tier" who ties hundreds of flies, or experiments with dozens of different patterns, I can't truly say I have a specific pattern that "gets my juices flowing".

But I do get a kick out of NEEDING to tie a particular fly from my arsenal ... because I lost too many to fish hits.

I don't get the same great feeling when I know I am tying them to replace snag lost flies.

I enjoy tying the big stuff most. But having a a young son really limits my fishing time for now. Lately I just wanna catch something. The little stuff gets bites. So I'm trying to enjoy tying that as much as possible.

In general? I've never seen a musky or a musky fly, so on that level none.

In general, anything simple; spiders, Clousers, Palmer drys., bucktails, pheasant tail, killer bug, basic scud

flies fast and easy using least variety of rare materials (I got no bat's eyebrow handy) that are general or suggestive simulators rather than artistic displays or "it's gonna crawl off" lifelike.