Fly Tying
Jwismer

DIY Fly Tying Vise

Wasn't it Lee Wulff who would demonstrate tying a fly with no vice at all? Just holding the hook in his fingers.

I don't have an image, but an interesting one I once saw was a 4" +/- brass rod of about 5/16" diameter. Sliced for about 2" lengthwise to make the jaws. A winged screw to close the jaws just fare enough back to clear the nose of the jaws. The rear was set in a maybe 1" dowel of about 6" height with a hole drilled at a 45 degree angle near the top that the brass "vice" slid into and was also held in place with a thumbscrew. 1" dowel was set into a wood base.

All it did was hold the hook. But beautifully simple.

yeah, Lee tied in hand, the thing that makes that harder is he held the hook by the eye. Try that and not let the hook spin as you tighten up stuff.

I used to tie in hand as a kid nothing fancy but still caught a lot of pan fish with them, always held them at the bend though I can't imagine holding it by the eye.

For the first 1800 years that people tied flies, they were all tied "in-hand." The fly tying vise didn't exist until the end of the 1700s. They didn't come into general use for about 40 years after they were introduced.

Yes, Lee Wulff tied in=hand, I have seen an autographed fly he tied for a friend's father. I have tied many flies in-hand, just for the challenge.

post-12074-0-75580900-1554306549_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-63862500-1554306589_thumb.jpg

That must be the "Nostalgia gene" again. Tying in-hand adds a level of difficulty I see no reason to pursue. But then, I am not a "fly tyer". I'm a fly angler who ties flies for my fishing. In that vein, tying to tie just doesn't appeal to me.

I like flytires' Vise Grip vise ... all the versions, though !!!

I want to know how Rim Chung held that hemostat so steady and solid while using both hands to tie?

That must be the "Nostalgia gene" again. Tying in-hand adds a level of difficulty I see no reason to pursue. But then, I am not a "fly tyer". I'm a fly angler who ties flies for my fishing. In that vein, tying to tie just doesn't appeal to me.

I like flytires' Vise Grip vise ... all the versions, though !!!

It's less the challenge that bothers me than the greatly increased odds of stabbing my self in the hand,I tied in hand because I was a poor kid without a vise not because I didn't want one.

I defy anybody to find a vise that holds any size hook any better then this. The whip finisher is a bent piece of metal, a coffee stirrer and a couple beads. Not sexy but it whip finishes as good as anything out there.

post-48414-0-79468000-1554429298_thumb.jpg