Fly Tying
RustyProp

Protecting Feathers & Furs

Let's discuss the pesky little bugs and stuff that seem to enjoy some of the fly tying materials I've purchased from the internet, mostly from private sellers on Ebay, etc. I've learned to isolate new materials in ziploc bags, I even toss in a moth ball just to be safe but still, is there a tried and true method to follow? unsure.gif

Any type of hide or feathers that you buy that your not sure of, just stick them in the freezer for a couple days. The deep freeze will kill any bugs that they may have, then just seal them to prevent anything from getting to them later.

SD

Unfortunately deep freeze still odes not kill all the bug eggs and or some larvae. They can be quite resistant. I use the freeze method and then for safety I never store questionable materials (tanned or cured by somebody other thaan myself) with good tying materials. I lost a few whiting necks a while back due to infestation and was might pissed.

My granddad used to, and I still do, put several whole cloves in each ziplock bag of hair or feathers and I've had no problems with small vermin. Also, I think fish dislike clove odor less than mothballs. Ralph