Fly Tying
flytire

rocky mountain tyers

i'm looking for a recipe for the following fly pattern.

Fravel's Fancy

The fly was popular on North Park and Laramie area lakes in the 70's

a little history would also be nice

all help is greatly appreciated

my googling skills failed on this one

Maybe call West Laramie Fly Store, North Park Anglers, or Minturn Anglers.

I will check some of my older books, my net searches only popped the same one as Noahguide's and the comment, regrettably, was from Anonymous....

And maybe Charlie Craven, if you know him, in my experience he enjoys talking about stuff like this...

Zero luck in my books.... even my Jack Dennis classics drew a blank... Maybe other detectives can track it down. Best of luck, dude.

Hi Norm,

Where did you even read or hear about this? Was it in an article some place? It may help to search for it.

Regards,

Mark

mark,

i received an email from a follower of my blog (flytying: new & old) asking if i had a recipe for it. he did say it may have contained muskrat fur and grizzly hackle

i have a vague recollection of the patterm from when i lived in the denver area (1980 - 1991) but with CRS (cant remember shit) syndrome its hard to go that far back

i didnt so i thought i would post a request on multiple forums and about a half dozen fly shops in the front range area (colorado/wyoming)

the only mention of the fly on the entire internet is in the comment section of the link above (hence my googling failure smile.png)

so far only one shop replied but didnt have the recipe but would put out feelers to his customers

this fly must really be a regional pattern coming out of the north park area in colorado up to around laramie

norm

Fravel's fancy was mentioned in a reply comment to this article https://coloradooutdoorsmag.com/2016/08/12/use-this-fly-to-catch-more-fish-anywhere-in-colorado/

Maybe the author JERRY L. NEAL can help.

Jerry Neal is a great resource for older and obscure flies that were popular in Colorado.

I have contacted Jerry Neal but he hasn't replied

Jerry did not mention fravels fancy in the link above. It was mentioned by a commentor so maybe he won't have the recipe

I have contacted Jerry Neal but he hasn't replied

Jerry did not mention fravels fancy in the link above. It was mentioned by a commentor so maybe he won't have the recipe

I think it might have been the current author's late father, also Jerry Neal, who wrote about the traditional Colorado flies.

Did you try Jerry Neal at Colorado Parks and Wildlife?

i left a comment in the comment section of the article in the link

there is no other way on the colorado outdoors website that i could find for direct contact with jerry l neal

i left a comment in the comment section of the article in the link

there is no other way on the colorado outdoors website that i could find for direct contact with jerry l neal

Possibly a dead end as the Jerry Neal I'm thinking about is probably the late father.

The son, Jerry Neal, works for Colorado Parks and Wildlife and writes the current articles.

Here's the son's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.neal.75

thanks for the link but i do not do facebook

I'll see if I can get the pattern from him on Facebook for you!