Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

100 miles on Beaver Creek Alaska

A moose hunt was the excuse to be there, really, we didn't need the meat and were content on just catching grayling. I always say the best way to ruin a perfectly good float trip is to shoot a moose. The trip was shortened by a fast river and one of the airstrips being washed out.

hatcam3-L.jpg

Ed in the back ground. An average Beaver Creek Grayling.

GOPR0488-3.jpg

They were hitting everything....

GOPR0488-2.jpg

from dry flies like this Parachute Royal Coachman and Light Cahills wet flies like G.R.H.E.s and soft hackles.

GH017270-1-XL.jpg

We had a great time. The weather was bright and sunny the whole time in the 50's to the seventies. Besides the great fishing we saw a black wolf, a sow black bear with two cubs and a cow moose. We didn't see another human after the first day.

Steve,

I recall multiple efforts at reintroducing grayling in MI. But I guess the warming and slowing down of flows due to damning, logging , siltation, etc and the intro of ace predator browns etc have made it too hard for them to flourish there again.

The irony is that with the steep decline of wild steel head out west their offspring in the GL could end up the only viable fishery.

Rocco

Yeah supposedly there is still one or two lakes somewhere upnorth where they actually did take hold again after the restocking back in the 80's, but not sure how much truth there is to that or not.

Michigan Grayling Initiative 2019

The Department of Natural Resources, in partnership with the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians, announced a proposed initiative in June 2016 that aims to bring back an extirpated species to the state Arctic Grayling. The Michigan Arctic Grayling Initiative seeks to establish self-sustaining populations of Arctic Grayling throughout its historical range in Michigan. The initiative now has more than 45 partners collaborating on the reintroduction.

https://www.migrayling.org

When can I expect to see Arctic Grayling in Michigan streams?

Partners of the Initiative plan to source eggs from Alaska in 2019, but developing a healthy stock of eggs that are suitable for Michigan's waters will take approximately three years.

Tentatively, eggs will be placed in in-stream Remote Site Incubators beginning in 2022. From then it will take three to four years before Grayling reach reproductive maturity.

https://www.migrayling.org/faq

Those are pretty cool fish with that big fin.

I love grayling, a friend of mine, a retired fisheries biologist guided for the new world record grayling about 6 years ago. A grayling that weighed over five lb's. Now that's truly a trophy. It was released unharmed. My best grayling ever was just under 20 inches long. On this trip we caught them up to sixteen inches.

Love grayling. Would love to catch one some day. They use to be a native fish here many years ago but last one caught here was over 100 yrs ago.

If you ever come up, let me know. I can help. They are very fun to catch and plentiful up here. On this trip we had several double hook-ups and caught 20-30 fish per hole.

I've often thought it was a shame that there were no grayling in Grayling Michigan.

If it's a white flakey non fishy tasting fish I'm going to grayling to my retirement fishing list. I've heard of them before but I've never seen one. They are a different looking fish with that big fin.

If it's a white flakey non fishy tasting fish I'm going to grayling to my retirement fishing list. I've heard of them before but I've never seen one. They are a different looking fish with that big fin.

Yep, it's all that. I'd be happy to help you find some if you ever get up to Fairbanks.