Fly Tying

I checked out my lead on the buffalo spot and HOLY BUFFALO! There's tons of 'em swimming around the old canal locks. They're good sized too. I know the Mud Bug and the Dubbin' Craw takes carp and quillbacks, but would buffalo be interested as well? I've caught a couple by accident and I do remember that they are STRONG! I'll be using my 8 weight for sure. But my question is this: Are there any other flies I should try as well? The water is pretty murky, but there's not a ton of current. It reminds me of trying to fly fish some muddy backwaters. Any tips?

I checked out my lead on the buffalo spot and HOLY BUFFALO! There's tons of 'em swimming around the old canal locks. They're good sized too. I know the Mud Bug and the Dubbin' Craw takes carp and quillbacks, but would buffalo be interested as well? I've caught a couple by accident and I do remember that they are STRONG! I'll be using my 8 weight for sure. But my question is this: Are there any other flies I should try as well? The water is pretty murky, but there's not a ton of current. It reminds me of trying to fly fish some muddy backwaters. Any tips?

I'm watching for them to show up in the riffle near my house right now, should be piling up in there pretty soon. Last year I spent a week chasing them every night, and only hooked 2, landed 1. The fish I hooked and lost took a #14 bead head Prince Nymph, the fish I landed took a #14 cream sucker spawn. I found them to be VERY tough to get to strike, but that could be partially because I was finding them in decent current and the drift had to basically smack them in the face. And you're right, they are very strong fish...and also very slimy!

Most of the buff I have caught have some one small shad flies, something like a #10 or #12 1x heavy wet hook with a small bit of white, or chart, rabbit strip tied over the back. Also had some awesome luck with them on headstand in really light colors like golden olive or even a light yellow or white.

Steve

Most of the buff I have caught have some one small shad flies, something like a #10 or #12 1x heavy wet hook with a small bit of white, or chart, rabbit strip tied over the back. Also had some awesome luck with them on headstand in really light colors like golden olive or even a light yellow or white.

Steve

Steve

Steve, would you happen to have any pictures of those small shad flies? I really like the sound of those because we have tons of shad in the river that are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. There's a ton of different species that would gobble those flies up.

Steve, would you happen to have any pictures of those small shad flies? I really like the sound of those because we have tons of shad in the river that are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. There's a ton of different species that would gobble those flies up.

It's noting fancy at all, put a hook in the vise, lay a bed of thread the length of the hook, lay a strip of zonker in and tie down at the bend of the hook, leaving a short tail (1/4 or less of the hank length) and then advance thread to the eye. Pull the zonker strip over the hook to the eye (do not wrap it just pull it flat and tight) then tie down trim off whip finish and fish.

I've gotta send a few pictures to some folks tonight and I need to take them first so I'll see if I can find something, I also use this as my go to fly for gar, unless they are up high in the water column then I go to the same thing only tied with mink so it will float.

Steve

Thanks a million Steve! I'll definitely be tying some of those bad boys up. I might tie a few of them with a little bit of lead wire on the shank too.