Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

xmas decorations and the tying bench

As you have already learned, my fellow tyers, I am a bit of a tight wad. I do not believe in spending retail for any of my fly tying needs if there is an acceptable substitute out "there" somewhere. And witht he holiday season rapidly approaching, now is the perfect time to stock up on some items in bulk.

Will and I had a brief conversation about this Friday night. He was in a local discount store and came across holographic tinsel. That's right, holographic tinsel. And yes, the Xmas variety is almost identical to the tying variation, except it is cut into wider dimensions. This is not a problem, however. All you have to do is cut the decorative tinsel length wise with a razor blade or fine tip scissors. The strands will vary in length from 12 to 18 inches, depending on the manufacturer. And they can be had at a mere fraction of what you would pay for the same quantity in a retail fly shop. So do yourself a favor, and check out the holiday decor in your local stores, and let your imagination run. You might be suprised at the material substitutes you can discover! If anyone has any further ideas, just let us know!!!!!!

Sign in to follow this