Fly Tying
pg637b

Revisit the hackle gauge

I have recently seen a hackle gauge with the Metz logo on it are these still available and if so where can they be had???

P.G.

Doing a quick search, I don't think the "Metz" gauge is still made. You might be able to find one on E-bay.

Other than that, there are hackle gauges available from a number of other manufacturers.

ii contacted J Stockard and they said it was an old pic (Teaser)! so the search go's on if someone has a email for metz i'll try them?

P.G.

All hackle gauges are pretty much the same, and any one of the dozens of printable images on the Internet will do just fine. You can also make your own.

When you use the hook gap as a guide, you know exactly what you're getting. It doesn't depend on who made the hook or any of it's properties. It's the only way I'm ever done it, so I don't know what I'm missing... ; )

I use a hackle gauge if I am sizing loose hackles but I agree, there is nothing faster, simpler, more accurate than simply using the hook for proportions.