Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

SPAM ATTACK IS ONGOING ... we're trying to keep up.

Thank you, to all who are reporting the ongoing spams that are flooding (or trying to) the site. The moderators have flagged and deleted upwards of 20 spammers.

If you see a spam ... please wait for a little while before reporting it. If you think we missed it, then report it.

We're on it. Every report also has to be deleted, which just takes more time.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Mike

Just to remind everyone.

We've had a few people asking about friends, and their inability to join the site recently.

This thread was written when the attack was going on. As of this moment, the site is still closed to new members. I do not know how long it will be kept this way, but the problem has been experienced a few times over the years, and I am sure the "powers that be" will open up when it's deemed "safe".

Mike, I'm on the site almost daily a few times. On another board I'm a mod on I have the ability to delete and permanently ban spammers. They are easy to find since that site has a search feature of locating all unanswered posts. We have instructed all our members not to respond to spam at all and then the spammer pops up on that search feature and permanently banning his board name clears the post and prevents him getting back in with that name or IP addy. Is there any way I can help kill spammers and get the site back open to receive new members. Another alternative would be to allow mods to enter a person they personally vouch for. I believe I have put in about 6 or 7 names in the Christmas swap from cyber friends from other sources.

Nick

We also have and used the same methods Nick to find and ban spammer IP's, but they did no good in this last bout. The problem with the latest attack is that the spammers are now wise to that and must be using some sort of program that randomly generated different IP addresses because the spammers were joining under multiple new IP & usernames every few seconds. In other words there were as many as 20-30 new accounts joining every minute and they were all spam accounts from various IP's. During that last attack myself & Mike were spending every waking second on the site deleting messages and banning IP's. It was so time consuming that even with both of us sitting on the site working non stop we still were not able to keep up with it.

The registration will be turned back on but I'm not going to do it until I feel 100% that we can do it without being attacked again.

We need to stop talking about this. Spammers could be looking at this a guests.

Knowing that a problem exists, and explaining just what is involved, is a good way to begin to solve the problem. NOT talking about this issue is just what the spammers hope will will do.

Spammers suck. Spammers don't have ip addresses they call there own. They use proxy servers that pull ip addresses from host computers from around the world. There's 4.3 billion ip addresses in the world. That's a lot of banning one at a time. Keep up the good fight!