Fly Tying
Father Sergius

Small Hopper Pattern Wanted

I would like to fish some streams in Wisconsin and I was recommended to try hoppers in size 16. My smallest hoppers are size 12 and I can't find any for sale around me smaller than 12. I was thinking of tying up some Stonefloppers by Cheech and AZ Wandering's mini hoppers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tying such small hoppers or other hopper patterns I should try? I was thinking of tying up or buying some stimulators in sz.16. It seems to me that size 16 is kind of small for fiddling with foam so any non-foam patterns would be especially appreciated.

Thank you.

I'd not worry too much or get too technical. Something like a bullethead caddis with a yellow body and some rubber legs thrown on should suffice. Put a little foam under the body if you want a bit more bulk or floatation. In that size, silhouette and color are going to be more important than an exact imitation.

I grew up in Wisconsin and the small hoppers I remember were either greenish yellow or tan, but by this late in the summer bigger hoppers were much more common. Last time I was in Wisco in late summer I used a yellow stimmi, in my box as a yellow sally imitation and probably a size 12, and it brought several nice brownies to hand.

Just curious where (roughly) you'll be fishing? I'll be in Wisconsin the latter half of September (after stops in Yellowstone and Montana) and will probably spend a day or two on waters I fished as a kid. Not great fishing, just a walk down memory lane.

Dave's Hopper is another good small hopper pattern. A bit persnickety to tie in small sizes, but a surprisingly effective pattern when tied that small.