Fly Tying
kimjensen

The easiest way to attach 3D eyes on flies.?

Do you have a tool you use to add 3D eyes on your baitfish patterns? I think it's extremely hard to do with my fingers. Even with a bodkin it can be troublesome.

Place a dot of adhesive (I prefer E-6000) where you want the eye to go. Place the eye, eye up, on a flat surface. Moisten the tip of your finger with saliva or vasoline or dubbing wax. Touch the eye with your finger; the eye should stick to it. Now push the back of the eye onto the dot of adhesive. A small piece of wooden dowel can be used in place of your finger.

Take a flat coffee stirrer or a round wooden skewer and wrap one end with double-sided tape. You can then easily pick up the eye by the convex side, apply your adhesive, and and push it into place. With the round skewer, you can easily roll it off the eye once it's where you want it.

I like the skewer/dowel idea. I use my fingers but will look at the dowel as I think this allows better control over the placement.

Rotate the vice so the fly is side ways ... place some "glue" where you want the eye.

With the eye lying with the back side up, apply a small dot of the "glue" your using. Your bodkin will stick to this and allow you to place the fly exactly where you want it. Using your finger, another bodkin or any other tool of your choice, hold the eye in place while you slide the first bodkin out from under the fly. Rotate the fly to expose the other side and repeat.

If you're using epoxy, use a cheap hackle pliers as a clamp to hold the eyes in place while the epoxy sets.

Since I have to do flies in quantity I go about attaching eyes a bit differently... I use fletching cement (available wherever you can find archery supplies) called Fletch-Tite. It comes in a squeeze tube with a long slender applicator. I place a small dot of glue on one side of the fly then place the eye onto it by hand. Here's the trick... I then use a clothes pin to clamp it in place for five minutes or so (and will do a number of bugs at a time with only one eye glued in place, held by a clothes pin.... When the glue is properly set I then repeat the process on the other side of the fly... Works like a charm and the eyes actually stay where you want them as you fish...

I must admit, though, as good as 3D eyes look when they're new -they don't hold up very well in actual use. I much prefer the solid plastic doll eyes that you see on Puglise patterns. Here's a pic or two showing the difference on the same pattern....

post-30940-0-55602000-1404389435_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-69899700-1404389448_thumb.jpg

Take a flat coffee stirrer or a round wooden skewer and wrap one end with double-sided tape. You can then easily pick up the eye by the convex side, apply your adhesive, and and push it into place. With the round skewer, you can easily roll it off the eye once it's where you want it.

I will try this. I mainly work with 3-4mm eyes, when using fingers will just cover the eye completely and I can't see were I place it.

Goop, place a drop on each side and press the eyes on.....done.

Capt. Bob, I've seen the plastic doll eyes you mentioned above. Do you cut off the plastic studs before you glue them on?

I like to put a drop of Clear Cure "Hydro" on the eyes to glue them down and help protect the eye itself.

Yep, all of the solid plastic doll eyes come with a stem (I guess the stem is the attaching point for those using them for their designated purpose)... I carefully cut them off flush with a small pair of nippers before gluing them in place. Doll eyes are sold by size and color (usually a mm. size then a color designation defined by the background color...). They're relatively cheap, are super durable in use, and have enough of a profile to push water as you move the fly through the water... I buy them 1000 per size/color.

Thanks for the link Peter. I have looked high and low locally for these eyes.

Happy to be of service, Ray. BTW - that spoon fly you recently reminded me of is almost ready - gotta tweak it a bit for a little more wobble, but it's getting there.