Fly Tying
Robert M

How big are most of your WW Bass Flies?

Warmwater Bass Flies  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LArgemouth bass almost exclusively. I throw main 8-12 but will throw larger on occasion. However, they are not small body flies; they're pretty big for 8-12.

I fish for smallmouth in rivers. I tie 4 1/2" zonkers on a #4 streamer hook, and 2-3" surface flies on #2 and1/0. I think you will have more success with bigger flies (3"+) for bass, at least with subsurface flies, because flies don't make as much noise and vibration as conventional bas tackle, so you need the bigger profile to get their attention.

I tie almost every bass fly of mine under 4". In SE Ohio, I am fishing a lot of small public lakes from shore and kayak that get pretty heavy pressure from other anglers, but I tend to be the only fly angler. Due to the pressure, I like to throw smaller patterns around the 2.5-3" range. It will surprise you how many large fish will hit smaller baits, too. I am about as likely to catch a 12" crappie as an 18" largemouth, it seems. My biggest bass flies are smaller versions of Barry's Pike Fly, tied on a #2 heavy shank bait hook, about 5" in length. I have not used them much yet, but the action is phenomenal.

I fish mainly for smallmouth in rivers, my flies are all 3-6 inches in length...mainly baitfish patterns.....usually tied on a 1/0 or size 2 streamer hook...Largemouth are usually 1/0 or 2/0 hooks, 3-8 inch baitfish patterns, poppers in the 2-5 inch range, divers....LMB are usually shallow lakes 8-12 ft deep....Walleye I fish the same patterns as smallies....Pickerel I use a combo of LMB and SMB flies, usually divers and poppers on the surface....I throw either a 6 wt or 8 wt...both 9 ft.....

Largemouths mainly but Stripers too in many of the same tidal creeks I fish. Sometimes catch both together! :thumbup:

1/0 or 2/0 mostly, average 3 to 4 inches long.

Baitfish primarily, then others!

8 wt. most of the time, but I'll go up to a 10 wt, or down as far as a 3 wt depending on the water being fished & the flies I intend to throw. :)

Mostly I fish in tidalwater, but when I fish in freshwater it's usually in a stream.

Generally I fish for Smallmouths in lakes with a 5-6 wt. My flies are usually representing various baitfish and are in the #2-#6 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" range.

Just so you know though a Smallmouth is a black bass also :)

Generally I fish for Smallmouths in lakes with a 5-6 wt. My flies are usually representing various baitfish and are in the #2-#6 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" range.

Yea I think spotted basses fall under that umbrella also. Duh! :rolleyes:

Originally I wasn't going to include the stripers, whipers and whites

river smallmouth from a kayak. 1 1/2-3inch flies. 8wt so i can get some of the carp also and the occasional catfish or largie.

Yea I think spotted basses fall under that umbrella also. Duh! :rolleyes:

Originally I wasn't going to include the stripers, whipers and whites

Yes you're right--all Micropterous species are considered black bass ;)

Smallies in rivers and streams

size 6-8 mostly @ 1"-2" esp. any pattern that rides hook up

7wt 90% of the time

Always seem to do better with smaller flies even when fishing lakes for largemouths

the last few years I only had largemouths available near where I lived. I usually fished the biggest fugliest things I could cast on my 7 wt. Normally the bigger the better, largemouths are called largemouths for a reason. I've caught baby 5 inch largemouths on a 5 inch streamer. I've also caught some bigger largemouths (4-5 lbs) on #10 wet flies while trying to catch bluegills.

Smallmouths in rivers and streams (thank God I now live in smallmouth country!) I normally do better with stuff in the general size of the baitfish and other prey creatures in the water. Streamers 2-4 inches and nymphs/buggers/others in whatever size, but not tiny. Bass appreciate a mouthful, even during a hatch of big bugs. Also have caught some really nice smallmouths on #12 and #10 woollly worms and nymphs.

You need to cover all the bases.

I know for myself I will threw smaller flies to get blue gills too. There are times that I will cast the bigger flies to only go bass or pickerel fishing. :headbang:

So it looks like if you went fishing for Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass with a 6 to 7wt rig and used a baitfish patter that was tied on a #6 to #2 hook with an overall length of 2-1/2" to 4" you would be in pretty good company no matter where you went fishing.

So is there a way to refine this survey/poll so it would give a better idea of what a beginner could do to catch Bass species across the US?