Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

anybody hire a contractor....

25 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

thank but i'm not looking for a concrete walkway

i prefer this look

pavers.jpg

We do it all the time! Get over it!

#17 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

Handyman
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#18 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

sorry guys if i'm being particular in what i want

#19 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Ah, no concrete, got it.

In that case, I'd call landscapers.  Home Depot and Lowe's have their guys, who do whatever jobs they sell.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#20 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

Home Depot and Lowe's are next on my list

#21 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

Norm; after seeing what you want reminded me that we had the same type patio/entertainment center put in in place of the old concrete slab.  The guy we used was a bricklayer by trade and did small to medium size projects on weekends and evenings after his real job.  His prices were pretty much middle of the road but he was very particular about the job.  He removed the old concrete, put in road bed, then fine sand and then the pavers.  He also built a fountain, firepit and retaining wall around about half of the patio.  The pavers were installed so close that you had to pry them up.  Have said all that to indicate how particular and exacting he was.  If you haven't, you might try contacting bricklayers as well.  As long as he was able to set his own schedule we got a triple AAA job preformed at a reasonable price.

<p>Instead of a sign that says 'do not disturb' I need one that says 'already disturbed, proceed with caution'

I don't call it getting old, I call it outliving the warranty

#22 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

After years of pavers I ripped them all out, gave them to a brother and had a stamped concrete two color pad poured. No more leveling after cold icy winters, no more dumping weed killer on the weeds that will at some point in time grow between them (weeds are muscular and determined).

If your stuck on pavers I think the way to set them nowadays is in granite dust which compacts tighter then sand ever could.

#23 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

Try Home Advisors.  https://www.homeadvi...dc49c3b133a866d

Shoebop

#24 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

Shoe

Ive tried home advisors, Angie's list, thumbtack. I've also looked at yelp, yellow pages. Nada. Nobody wants to do a small job.

Maybe its youtube videos and breaking my ailing back

#25 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

Definitely a landscape company job and not something a contractor will take on. One of my best friends owns a landscape co and he does that sort of work all the time so that's the type of place you need to find. IMO if you have called a few and can't get anywhere that way, do you have a local  independently owned garden/flower center nearby? Because places like Lowes/HD are all chain stores with people that just are there to put in their time and you might not get any good referrals from them. But if you have an  independently owned garden/flower shop nearby then most times they are gonna know of at least a couple good small landscapers in the area that they could refer to you.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#26 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

Best bet, independent landscaper. Probably have more luck with neighborhood/community referral board/Facebook group.

Reply to this topic