Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fshng2

Angler Catches Bizarre Fish

As usual for me, I don't listen to the audio portion. I don't like to bother the Wife, and I don't care for headphones. I just say that to then say that I don't know what conclusion they came up with on the newscast.

It's obvious to me (I could be wrong) that this fish doesn't have two mouths. It was injured ... long enough ago that it's healed up. The injury ripped open it membrane across the lower jawbones. Instead of healing closed, it healed open, making the fish LOOK like it has two mouths.

The surprising thing is not that it looks like it has two mouths, but that it survived and thrived with that gaping wound. That it healed and continued to grow/eat/"breathe" with that opening.

It's kind of amazing to me that someone would look at the fish and not know immediately what the story was. Stranger things than that have happened.

I saw that report somewhere else and thought exactly what you guys did, that it's simply an old wound that's healed. It's amazing that a fish with a wound like that can survive, but there is an awful lot of forage in the great lakes, and no predators so even a wounded fish can survive for a while.