Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Is this the Ultimate Vise?

While there are no ultimates, it sure is purty.

My thought also! It's a beauty! wub.png

Nice if you afford such a fine piece of craftsmanship! I can't! blink.png

I can buy a LOT of slightly less than "ultimate" vices for 2500 bucks. I doubt the flies tied on one of these looks any better than the flies tied on a 80 dollar blue light special vice.

I would be embarresed to admit that I payed that much for vise. If it keeps you in front of it tieing 2.00 dollar flies, I guess it's worth it. No it's not.

I must admit, this is the most amazing vise I have seen. The detail in the damascus is astounding. I have come to the conclusion that some thing in life are worth ever penny when there is this much detail and workmanship in something that brings you pleasure every time you use it. So kudos to you silvercreek.

Michael

I think the Damascus steel is beautiful, but personally I don't like the design of the vise.

I suppose this is for the crowd who buys $20K shotguns and $150K cars. If ya got it, spend it, I guess.

When you die with a lot of money, you're still dead.

That is a great looking vise! Someone on another forum posted pics after they had bought theirs. Michael said it best, and more power to those who buy them. There is definitely a market out there for high quality equipment, just take a look at some of the custom reels and rods you can buy these days.

Those are pictures of three different vises. I agree with JS ... Damascus Steel is beautiful. But I like it for it's original purpose, blades. Still, the vises shown are beautiful.

Still wouldn't buy one, even if I won the Lotto.

I suppose i am the odd one out, but i do not like damascus steel jaws on a vise.

I love the material's intricate pattern on, say, a good knife blade.

For tying i like to have the vise jaws to be unobtrusive and a solid muted color, allowing me to focus on the fly being tied without distraction.

YMMV ;-)

Cheers,

Hans W

Afraid I'm with Hans and Mike. Damascus steel was originally made to provide a flexible support for a high carbon steel cutting edge on blades. The patten is a by product of that. It seems out of place as jaws. It is trying to be art. For me it is over the top and brash.

Cheers,

C.

if i'm gonna put something under a glass dome and never use it, i would rather have a todd begg bodega knife

BeggBodegaTimDam-280x190.jpg

however, i cannot afford either one, knife or vise :)

It may or not be the "Ultimate Vise" but it is pretty close to the "Ultimate Price." Very nice to look at, but its not for me. If I were a vise collector, it would be are be a great addition, but there are several other vices I would get first. I do like the knife though.

My thoughts are

1. Who cares?

2. WTF?

3. If I was rich I still would not buy one. Did I say who cares?

I can't believe that I wasted my time to even respond.

Different and maybe unique. But, as a rotating vise, where's the turning knob/handle.. If I could get a LAW Vise for the original selling price, I think I'd go for it, but the eBay-prices are just ridiculous these days. I spend several hundred euros for my Jvice and I don't have any regrets. When I die, I cannot take it with me, but working tools make my life easier.