Fly Tying
Chia

Laser dub vs ep fiber

I would say no. EP fibers are a lot longer and coarser and they don't have flash incorporated into the material. Plus they're not self tapering. You have to trim them to shape. Laser Dub works best, as far as I can tell, for small bait fish patterns, No longer than maybe 2 1/2 to 3 inches long . I'm not saying you can't tie small patterns with EP fibers, you'd just have to spend time trimming them. I don't use EP Fibers, I mainly use Mirror Image which I flash blended to get it tapered. I imagine you could the same with EP Fibers.

This shows to two flies. The larger one is tied with flash blended Mirror Image, 3 1/2". The bottom one is tied with Lazer Dub, 1 1/2 "

post-309-0-47766300-1487645737_thumb.jpg

This one for a swap on another board using Laser Dub on a Gamakatsu SC 15. Different shape and tying method. It's 2 1/2 inches long. I might be able to do a slightly larger one is I used a longer shank hook or a larger one . Not sure if I'd get the same effect though.

post-309-0-71360800-1487646510_thumb.jpg

Can ep fiber be used in place of laser dub?

What are you trying to use it for? Mostly is say no. The only application I could see it as an almost reasonable substitute is in a dubbing brush. Or very small ep style bait fish.

Thanks, I was looking for a way to build baitsish heads with what I had on hand.

Try short pieces of ep in a dubbing loop. I don't think it would work as well tied on in clumps like you do with laser dub, you never know until you try though.

I can see baitfish heads with EP fibers extending forward from the eye and then pulled back with glue or resin to help keep its shape.

Try and see.