Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Rhode Island Red Cape.

Does anybody on the board own one and if u d what do you primarily use it for ?

I have a cape and I use it almost exclusively for the stripped quill body of the Red Quill,

a traditional pattern for the male Hendrickson (E. subvaria) dun:

redquillnew.jpg

Mogup- I really enjoy tying this pattern. It's elegant and well-designed to match the male dun. Some days in the spring during the Hendrickson hatch the Red Quill seems to be the best fly to be using. Other times a dubbed-body parachute Hendrickson does better. I don't know if it's because the parachute sits lower in the water or because it better imitates the female E subvaria. I make sure I have both patterns in sizes 12 and 14.

Thanks for the advice rockworm I'll try and tie some up and post a pic here.

The hackle on my cape is not too soft Vicente.

Really ?nice ours always had pretty soft hackle.

Vicente I gave it a once over and I'm changing my mind that the hackle maybe best used for the wetside of the world. It's would make a nice Coachman I think.

Rhode Island Red is the original Royal Coachman color. A good quality RIR cape is dry fly quality and will tie size 10, 12 and 14 flies. Compared to modern generic hackles, it is large and sparse, so you might have to use two hackles to get the density you'd prefer. The saddle should make good streamer hackles, and the spade hackles should be good tailing material. The hen is where you get the material for soft hackles. I really don't think any of the feathers off a cock would be soft enough.

Thanks for the info phg. This is my first Red Quill. I crowded the eye just a bit.post-59483-0-70158300-1488164913_thumb.jpeg

That's not bad at all. Yes, you did crowd the head a bit, but not all that much. Definitely a keeper!