Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Hackle - a different approach

A different way to make a hackle. Tying dry flies in this way was popularized by Jean-Paul Dessaigne, one of my favorite french tier ( a fantastic photographer ans skilled tier ) . He made a lot of flies using guard fibers from hare fur.

Here, in my part of Europe , we call hare fur as "poor man hackle". It is difficult to find Whiting hackle and we started to use more and more hare fur instead. Guard fibers from hare fur suit perfectly for making big floating flies. The colors of the fibers are fantastic and are very close to the natural color of insects legs.

Poor-Man-Dry-Fly-Ephemera-980x654.jpg

poor-man-brown-mayfly-980x649.jpg

hare-hackle-980x654.jpg

cheers

Thanks Lucian and flytire. Very cool. The tweezers or hemos he uses for a half hitch tool, what great idea.

Vey nice stuff!
Living in Colorado we take for granted the access we have to Whiting Farms.

Kimo

unfortunately there are no english versions of john pauls video but they are quite easy to follow

maybe some youtube or google searching will find similar videos in english

Is there an English version of the youtube series? Google said it cannot be translated.

Thanks, Bob H

My old system won't let me view all his series, but on the ones I can view- I mouse to the bottom of the video window, click on "CC", it turns on captions in "French Auto generated >", by pointing at the ">" a drop down of many languages appears that auto translate, I click on "English" and can then follow his show in captions, not a perfect deal but it helps me. sometimes.

edit; I left out a step- after the CC starts, click on the little gear that controls "Settings"- then in that space click on "auto translate" for the language dropdown

Tjm, Thanks! I was unaware that you could do that. I never use the closed captioning function so I would never have found that translate menu. Again, thanks!

Swamp

Good stuff. I make Pott Flies that way, using a dubbing loop instead of Pott's complex weaving technique. Adding a bit of dubbing into the loop first is a good idea.

I also wet the legs of the thread loop first, with fabric cement, which ends up holding the fibers a bit better, and also makes it possible to twist the loop less tightly.