Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mty1

Help Identifying This Material, Please.

IMG_1436.JPGpost-60582-0-01523600-1577628898_thumb.jpg

I purchased this fly at Abe's on the San Juan River.

It is a size 18 BWO.

I would like to tie this fly, and I think I have figured out all the materials except the parachute.

It appears to be a natural fiber, but I could be wrong.

If anyone could give me some insight as to what they think it might be, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I would be interested in knowing what material is commonly used for parachutes in this smaller size.

Thanks so much.

looks like an adams parachute variation

it could be calf body hair or maybe calf tail or turkey t-base feather

calf-body-hair.jpg7128_300_300.jpg

Turkey-T-Base-Dyed-White.jpg

or try abes (505) 632-2194

any antron yarn or zlon type material is acceptable for parachute post

It looks like T base feathers to me too. I would use polypropylene yarn to make my own. For smaller sizes, you want to use a partial ply of the yarn and tie it in on the top of the hook. Grab both ends and pull up and tie your parachute post. For larger sizes, tie the yarn underneath the hook and repeat the above procedure to get a wider body/profile in that area. I use Charlie Cravens method of tieing parachute posts as it works extremely well and is easy. Poly yarn is cheap, is easy to work with, and comes in all kinds of colors. The fish are certainly not going to notice a difference in what you're using as far as post materials go. Poly yarn has a specific gravity that is slightly less than water, so it won't absorb water and sink like some natural post materials can.

Regards,

Mark

As Flytire suggests, I would use a Herculon yarn, specifically, macrame/craft yarn. Herculon is an olefin and polypropylene is an olefin fiber. It is much easier to handle than calf hair. It does not need to be stacked to get even tips and it is naturally water repellent.

I use the Bonnie brand of macrame/craft cord. It comes in two types, twisted and braided. You want the twisted and not the braided. The twisted cord is easily combed and separated into straight fibers.

I use my UV resin to stiffen the post as in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NI_itlPcOg

Then I use the standard method of posting hackle up the post, then wrap the hackle down the post and tie off ON the post.

Another method is to use UV resin to both stiffen the post and to glue hackle to the post at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVVn6bwKLQc