Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TedderX

Marlow Buzz Fly

I refer to this article:

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2012/8/2/ray-bergman-collection-230-marlow-buzz/?utm_source=FTFGuest&utm_medium=web&utm_content=post

According to what I read, this is the Marlow Buzz fly. Is it not just an (original) Coachman? From what I understand, the Coachman was originally intended as a wet fly/nymph by it's creator but later a white feather was added atop to make it a dry fly.

In my mind, the picture in the article is a (original) Coachman.

This is the "modern" Coachman:

CM1_zpsarfdjgas.jpg

This is the Leadwing Coachman:

CM2_zpsynxojhjz.jpg

And then you get into even more variations (royal coachman, etc). Please educate me some.

Those are nice. I really like the lead wing. Is that turkey?

And I don't know nuttin' about it, but I thought "coachmen" had slim waists? Also to be truly modern, they should be called "coachpersons". :-)

I'm not an expert on the history of flies, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night.

Here's my take. "Coachman" generally refers to a fly with a peacock herl abdomen, brown hackle and white wing. It could be a wet fly, dry fly or streamer depending on the exact configuration and materials used. Adding a red band to the center of the abdomen makes it a Royal Coachman. The Leadwing Coachman is a variation with a grey wing. A white wing doesn't make it a dry fly. Up right Rooster hackle and a stiff tail does.

The Marlow Buzz Fly in your link looks like what I would call a Brown Hackle Peacock.

These can be good flies out here in the east too ! The Leadwing Coachman in particular in the late winter and early spring cold water on sinking line in our local ponds down here on the Cape. I own a fishing vest and a fly tying case because of that fly. Two tagged brookies caught two years apart . I took the tags in and that's what I got for them. These days, well I don't think there are any store sponsored tag programs any more.

The Royals can be good up in Northern Maine for salmon, larger sized dries for salmon and smaller 16's and 14's , even smaller for brookies... So the idea of "western flies" carries pretty far east too lol !

Anyone got any info?

From A Dictionary Of Trout Flies by A. Courtney Williams: The origin of the Coachman is generally ascribed to a Tom Bosworth, who was a coachman to three British sovereigns---George IV, William IV, and Queen Victoria.

The standard dressing is:

Wings: White swan

Hackle: Red cock

Body: Copper-coloured peacock herl

Hook: 10 to 16; up to 8 for lake fishing

Regards,

Mark

who said they didnt?

The literature said "western flies". I should have been clearer. Nobody in the thread stated anything about east or west. But someone along the way might think, oh that's for out west.

Anyway, it's a great series of flies. The Leadwing was about my third wet fly I learned to tied. First was Grizzly King, second was Professor, then the leadwing etc..

it also went on to say

The first Coachman pattern from which a number of variations, including the Western, eventually evolved was designed probably in the early 1820’s in England, first appearing in British angling literature in 1825. The designer of the pattern was Tom Bosworth who just happened to be the coachman for the British Royal Family of the time. This wet pattern became a mainstay in that part of the world through the remainder of the century, and the brown feather that Tom selected as hackle for his pattern became known as Coachman brown after his profession. It’s as simple as that, but makes perfect sense.

The first article you posted says "Seth Green, in 1879, wrote that a 'buzz' was made with the 'hackle standing out the whole length of the body.' That would be like the present-day palmer tie." So I wonder if the Marlow Buzz is "supposed" to look like more like a wooly worm and it's just changed overtime to look more like the "collar" style of the Coachman.

This is what the oldest book I has says:

temporary_zpshvvig9f8.jpg

Can you still buy bronze peacock herl? I've only ever seen green but then again I'm new to fly tying.

Yes some where along the way I had heard that story before.

I always keep a coachman brown cape that I use to tie my Royal Coachman. The Royal Coachman and Wulff keep a really high position in my favorites dry fly category, just as the Leadwing does in my wet. But that coachman brown hackle is just a bit different from regular old brown. I also use it blended with grizzly in a certain caddis pattern I tie, many a mid sized salmon has fallen pray to these flies. And bigger ones to #10 Wulffs.

In Maine 2 years ago on a small , maybe size 18 or 16 at most Royal Coachman dry parachute I hooked up with about a 5 lb brookie .. The guys up there told me about this fish they all had been trying for off an on and no one could hook it. He had himself stationed behind a rock but right before a slick into a deep pool. Well I hooked him and had him on for a bit but he ran into that fast stuff before the next pool and I came up short with a straight hook. That was a parachute though, it's spawned a breakage in my resolve to only tie these flies traditional LOL!

I don't know what any of this has to do with the OP but it's fun to talk about anyway .

For bronze peacock herl try feathersMC.com

If you don't mind waitng, you could also try leaving some herl in the sun. After awhile it takes on a bronze tone.

In Favorite Flies and Their Histories (Mary Orvis Marbury,) shows a "Royal Coachman in plate E #40. The following history is given: "The Royal Coachman was first made in 1878 by John Haily, a professional fly-dresser living in New York city." The dressing shown includes a barred wood duck tail, a red floss butt, and center section on the peacock herl body. The hackle is brown, but seems to be a bit lighter than the darker (Coachman brown.) The wings are white. In a discussion about naming the fly, L. C. Orvis, brother of Charles Orvis said " Oh, tha is easy enough; callit the Royal Coachman, it is so finely dressed!"

The dressing has changes somewhat over time, and it has evolved into many styles. There are now Royal Coachman streamers, wet flies, dry flies, and steehead flies.

Maybe you guys can see why I'm so interested in history... it's called curiosity. I love it when you guys research the history of a fly pattern, or a reel, or whatever. When I get curious about something, it's like Cate Blanchett said: "I want to know!"

Thanks for sharing it, and keep it up!

(by the way, that quote was from Indie Jones and the Crystal Skull)