Fly Tying

The copper John really does not mimic many species of aquatic bugs. In fact, it doesn't really resemble any of them. I guess one could say it somewhat looks like a dragonfly nymph, maybe even a stonefly. But that is a very abstract representation. However, even though its not an identical representation of any specific food that trout or other fish target in a river or lake, that doesn't mean it won't catch fish. In fact, despite it looking like no organic life, it catches fish very well, in fact sometimes better than hyper realistic flies. Part of this could be due to the curiosity of trout, sunfish, or bass, but another part could be to how this thing fishes. It is very heavy, and possibly catches more fish because it can get down quicker to where the fish are. Another reason is that it is very visible in the water, with its bright copper abdomen, and flash back thorax. Especially helpful when fishing stained water. No matter the reason of why this fly is effective though, because it just is. That being said, it is not the easiest fly in the world to tie, but once you get the hang of it, they can be tied rather easily and quickly. And no one can argue the fact that it is fun to tie.

Good video, but they rarely work for me and I don't know why?

You know, it really depends on the river for me. There are some places I have trouble getting fish to bite them. Other rivers they gobble them up like they are candy floating buy a kid at fat camp. LOL.

Do you find a lot of difference in results of a CJ vs a Brassie? I have had success with both, but can't decide when one works better. I think the copper glint is the primary trigger. What do you think?

Your really producing some nice video's lately. The copper John is my 2nd favorite nymph right behind a hares ear. I fish it on my local warm water creek and the SMB really love it. I generally do not catch many bass on nymphs on this creek but for some reason they really like the copper John. I tie them in many different colors and they all work but I usually give the nod to an olive green wire as it seems to work the best on SMB.

Since I'm creek fishing I don't weight them with anything except the bead and I don't put down a scud back and just use a flashback. Sometimes I omit the flashback and simply use resin right over the peacock herl. I find they don't work so well on the river but maybe I'll try adding some lead wraps to get them down quicker.

Nice job on the video.

Your really producing some nice video's lately. The copper John is my 2nd favorite nymph right behind a hares ear. I fish it on my local warm water creek and the SMB really love it. I generally do not catch many bass on nymphs on this creek but for some reason they really like the copper John. I tie them in many different colors and they all work but I usually give the nod to an olive green wire as it seems to work the best on SMB.

Since I'm creek fishing I don't weight them with anything except the bead and I don't put down a scud back and just use a flashback. Sometimes I omit the flashback and simply use resin right over the peacock herl. I find they don't work so well on the river but maybe I'll try adding some lead wraps to get them down quicker.

Nice job on the video.

Thanks man! Yeah, in the last year or so Ive really tried to up my game on the videography part of my channel. It takes a lot of extra work though. With camera angle changes and all. Usually there are anywhere from 30-50 shots in each video now. (Moving camera, re-focusing, starting the tie again. All takes a while. But I think its worth it. Anyway, thanks for noticing.

As for the fly, yeah it works. Like I said, there are some places it just works so so well. But other times it doesnt. Its weird.

Do you find a lot of difference in results of a CJ vs a Brassie? I have had success with both, but can't decide when one works better. I think the copper glint is the primary trigger. What do you think?

Well, they are two completely different flies. The brassie usually mimics midges. They are thin, more simple and short thorax area. More midge like. The CJ tends to be wider, sorta like a stonefly nymph or dragonfly larvae. They have legs, flash, and a tail. Just all around different look. The only similarity is they use wire for a segmented abdomen.

For years the beadhead Copper John was my "go to" fly on my home stream. I would use it in combination with a Zebra Midge and had great success over a very long time. (btw, I preferred amber wire over regular copper) Then for whatever reason, the CJ stopped producing the same results. I don't know if it was because so many anglers started using them or perhaps the bug life in the stream changed. All I know is that the fly stopped producing like it had been. So I can understand why some people love the fly and others don't. I still use the fly but now it's my third or fourth choice as opposed to my first choice.

I certainly appreciate your efforts. I'm a veteran angler and tier but I pick up things from your videos to add to my knowledge. Thanks so much.

Nohackle, I agree. It seems to be a hit or miss kinda fly. Some rivers it gets eaten readily, and others it cant scare a bite.

Feathers, thanks man! I appreciate the kind words. Glad you like the videos.

Thanks robow