Fly Tying
missin44

Gamakatsu B10s = Allen ___?

I have used a lot of the Allen B200 in different sizes. The sizes are close but not the same. I think if you try them you will like them.

Kevin

The Allen B200 looks a bit light to be the equivalent of a B10s. Have you compared it to the TMC8089, Kevin? Many of the comments seem to compare those two hooks more anything else, which makes more sense looking at the shape and weight.

One substitute I like for the B10s is the Umpqua U502 which is comparably priced to the Allen, but not available in as many sizes. It is worth mentioning that the B10s is a bit more affordable if you buy them by the 100 pack, AND buy them somewhere other than a fly shop...

If you were sticking strictly to Allen hooks (I don't blame you I love them) I think the B200 is the only thing even close to a B10

I have used a lot of the Allen B200 in different sizes. The sizes are close but not the same. I think if you try them you will like them.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Based on your info, Allen's website and another that sells Gamma's here is what I found.

Allen B200 to Gamma B10s: 2 = 2/0 (shank 41mm), 4 =1/0 (38mm), 6 = 1 (35mm), 8 = 2 (32mm)

Shank lengths within .5 mm or so

The B200 is a bronzed hook, the Gamakatsu B10 is a black nickle plated hook. The sizes posted from each don't match up, but you can find matching sizes up to a 2/0. If your tying for salt water, you would want the Gamakatsu hook.

The B200 is a bronzed hook, the Gamakatsu B10 is a black nickle plated hook. The sizes posted from each don't match up, but you can find matching sizes up to a 2/0. If your tying for salt water, you would want the Gamakatsu hook.

These are for articulated freshwater streamers. As for the sizes, I'm sure you know there is no standard for hook sizing. Example the information I have shows the Gamma B10s 1/0 in hook length of 39mm. Looking at Allen's site the B200 #4 shows a length of 1 1/2"~1 9/16" which equals ~39mm (Allen's site actually shows the hooks on a piece or grid paper). Regardless, explain how the sizes don't match up? What am I missing?

A cut and past on the Gamma Info:

Hook length #14 -12mm -hook gap (shank to point) 4mm

Hook length #12 -14mm -hook gap (shank to point) 5mm

Hook length #10 -17mm-hook gap (shank to point)6 mm

Hook length #8 - 20mm -hook gap (shank to point) 7mm

Hook length #6 - 23mm - hook gap (shank to point) 9mm

Hook length #4 - 25mm - hook gap (shank to point) 11mm

Hook length #2 - 32mm - hook gap (shank to point) 13mm

Hook length #1 - 35mm - hook gap (shank to point) 15mm

Hook length 1/0 - 39mm - hook gap (shank to point) 16mm

Hook length 2/0 - 42mm - hook gap (shank to point) 18mm

I think what utyer means is if you tie on a #4 gammi you can't just order a #4 Allen and get the same size hook, the sizing doesn't match up.

I think what utyer means is if you tie on a #4 gammi you can't just order a #4 Allen and get the same size hook, the sizing doesn't match up.

Yeah. You're right. I was thinking my math was bad or something.

I used allen for 12 years and their hooks are pretty decent. But those GAMAKATSU hooks are in a whole other league. I am not bad mouthing Allen as you will never hear me say one bad thing about that company, its owners, or products but after picking up some of those Gamas and fishing with them they are just lethal.

I found a fly shop on ebay called Old Florida Fly Shop that has them about the most affordable that you can buy without being set up with GAMAKATSU wich is a song and a dance within itself to do.

I attached a picture of a mud sucker I caught this past winter. It blew through that fishes jaw bone. I also thought I had a hit and set the hook. The Gama actually pierced that sandstone rock and I reeled it in. It wasn't wedged in there it was pierced, hence why I took the pic. I use them on my larger stone fly patterns at times. I use them on my baitfish patterns and larger bass stuff on the 2/0 as well.

I would make the investment and try a box of them. In size six it was like $26.00 for 100 hook through that fly shop on ebay. Yes it adds about 10 cents per fly, opposed to Allen.

But they truly are in my opinion not in the same class and comparing apples to oranges.

post-43467-0-21682500-1500489087_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-06154800-1500489093_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-59768800-1500489127_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-06920700-1500489539_thumb.jpg

These are for articulated freshwater streamers. As for the sizes, I'm sure you know there is no standard for hook sizing. Example the information I have shows the Gamma B10s 1/0 in hook length of 39mm. Looking at Allen's site the B200 #4 shows a length of 1 1/2"~1 9/16" which equals ~39mm (Allen's site actually shows the hooks on a piece or grid paper). Regardless, explain how the sizes don't match up? What am I missing?

As far as my articulated streamers I changed my hooks. I like round bend worm hooks. I get mine from BPS.

Kevin

As far as my articulated streamers I changed my hooks. I like round bend worm hooks. I get mine from BPS.

Kevin

BPS?