Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Scud and Beetle Backing or anything with a hard shell...

One day while messing aroun in the truck I foun an old audio cassette tape that had been played a bit too much. I almost threw it away, but then thought about the sowbugs I had been tying and wanted to try this for backing. I tied a sowbug and used it as the backing and was very impressed with it. I then started looking through some of my old tapes just to see what other colors I could find. I found som old Cool and The Gang and it was a light shade of brown.... perfect for dead orange sowbugs. This stuff is great and comes in enough to tie lots of bugs. It comes in black, dark brown, and light brown..... as well as probably a few other shades. This stuff is the perfect size and it makes the sowbugs I tie very realitic looking with alot of contrast. For dark sowbug I use the black film, for olive I use the dark brown, and for dead orange I use the light brown. Sweet looking sowbugs and I have caught the mess out of the trout with them. :headbang:

Then one day I thought about bettles and how I could make that hard looking shell. VHS tapes work wonders and come in different shades too. Just tie thi on your hook before you mak a foam bettle and then pull this forward and tie off after you complete the bettle. Hard brown looking shell that contrast with the rest of the body. :D

Great idea. I will give it a try.

I wonder if you used R rated video tapes if you would only hook trout over 17.

Conehead

Sign in to follow this