Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Thibodeau

Synthetic Conspiracy

You know those Fibbets they sell for fly tyers ? The ones that costs us over $5.00 for just a pinch or it. ive_been_ripped.gif Well listen up! Go to the hardware store and buy a premium paint brush that are all ready made from these fibbets, but in 3'' lengths.

Thats $12.00 for 5000 Fibbets. One brush and you'll be good for many years. rockon.gif

Oh and by the way Fibbets are tailing materials used on dry flies for those who are asking.

I have tried the paint brush bristles. Some work better than others.

Check out the bristles with a sharp eye first. Some brushes have what is called "Flagged bristles" This means the tip of the bristle is split into several different fiber strands (like a split end on those hair conditioner commercials"

Cheaper brushers are the best to use, they usually are not flagged and some even taper like a fibbet or mayfly tail.

I was at a tying demonstration by A K Best when someone mentioned using micro-fibbets for tails. With distain A K said you might as well use a paintbrush. The crowd went wild; A K feels only natural materials should be used, and will only use hackle fibers (some brushes are made form horse hair). After all A K says, we need to give the trout a fighting chance.

Hey, those trout might only have a pea size brain, but beat me more times than I would like to admit

Conehead.

I know about the fragged bristles. I don't use those. What ever looks good to me and makes my flies do a better jod catching fish I will use. Natural or Synthetic. No offense but just because A.K says so, I'm not about to go out and throw all my synthetics away. I've leaned to give and take from these Published guys. And no offense to A.K. shifty.gif

With floatant on the fibbets, They help your fly stay up more. Really thats what counts for me.

Thibodeau,

I'm with you, I use what ever works. There is a ton of synthetics that do a far better job than natural elements. I am grateful for them all.

Conehead

PS:

Thibodeau, I know you are into organizing benches and storage, How about posting a few larger and more detailed pics of your bench on the photo page. I have several of my tying area there as well under Misc. photos.

Oh and by the way Fibbets are tailing materials used on dry flies for those who are asking.

Thanks for saving me from asking!

Fibbet:I thought thats what my kids told me before getting the hot sauce!

BFR

Sign in to follow this