Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Look at these smiles...

It's been 30 years since sexual harassment started being a punished crime in the work place.

Any woman who has been harassed, abused or raped since the mid nineties should have reported it ...THEN.

I do NOT condone the objectification of women. I think people (usually men but not always) who use their position to force others into sexual situations should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

That said ... I don't think accusations several years after an alleged event should be immediately believed. Why didn't they report it when it happened? My own Wife and her mother both have railed against inappropriate behavior, with graphic stories to tell. And the perpetrator was dealt with appropriately, every time.

The only reason I can think of for reporting incidents years after they happen is that it wasn't such a big deal for the woman "back then". Only when it's going to get them something, do they decide ... "It was the worst time of my life!" "Oh, woe is me !!!"

I'm tired of hearing about it, already.

I am sorry to say, gentlemen, but it is disappointing to see these responses on a topic that was meant to denounce someone who is demonstrably and undoubtedly a creep.

I don't know what kind of response you were looking for, Bimini.

Your post looks to be an attempt at humor?

What is disappointing? Does "innocent until proven guilty" not apply to everyone or is it only meant for certain races, creed, gender? If there is evidence then for sure I will have no problem calling him and anyone else that does this a creep and be glad to see them lose their job or be prosecuted if warranted. My point was that there seems to be some big push lately (past 6 months) for women to start saying someone sexually harassed them X amount of years ago and soon as they do then that person seems to be tried and sentenced/fired on the spot based solely on the accusation alone.

Case in point is just like Dustin Hoffman last month. There started a rumor about him and sexual harassment 35 yrs ago and there were some talk show hosts, reporters, etc condemning him right on the spot. Then 2 days later it turns out none of it was true what so ever.

So my point is if someone is in fact guilty and is proven to be guilty then they get what they deserve in my book, but there seems to be an awful lot of people in some of these cases (not just talking about Matt whats his name here) where people are already condemning a person soon as there is an accusation.

Why be disappointed? Is it because you were expecting the members here to have the same perspective as you?

Here's a thought....

The members here share fly tying and (usually) fishing in common. That's the common denominator. Beyond that, we may not have all that much in common. Have an open mind or prepare for disappointment if you want to push buttons. Or maybe better yet, have those very off topic discussions elsewhere.

It is very simple. I expected a number of different reactions to different situations, precisely because we are very different people.

There is a lot to discuss, including whether some complaints may or may not come with a hidden agenda.

I expected a thoughtful, nuanced discussion.

I was not expecting a block reaction to blindly believe every single accusation, but I definitely was not expecting a block reaction that seems to make victims responsible for this whole mess just because they said nothing when it happened.

That is all.

Hardly a block reaction by any means IMO. I never said I'm blaming the "accuser" I simply said I don't automatically blindly believe someone is guilty of something before there is any proof or evidence of the accusation. Especially when it is years down the road. When a crime or offense is committed it is normally reported right away, there's very little if any reason not to do so. When it is not brought up till years later then yes that does put the validity & motive behind it in a bit of doubt for me.

Having your butt squeezed is a very traumatic thing. I know I had my butt squeezed 40 years ago and I know how difficult it has been to live with that for the last 40 years. I took up fly fishing and fly tying in hopes of burying the pain deep in my psyche but all this talk on butt squeezing has brought it back to the front. Oh the pain. Maybe I'll out the little 15 year old tramp now that she's close to 60. Maybe then I'll get closure and she can live with the same pain I've endured all these years. I mean really, how dare she smack my butt. Who did she think she was? It's not like she was my football coach or anything.

Having your butt squeezed is a very traumatic thing. I know I had my butt squeezed 40 years ago and I know how difficult it has been to live with that for the last 40 years. I took up fly fishing and fly tying in hopes of burying the pain deep in my psyche but all this talk on butt squeezing has brought it back to the front. Oh the pain. Maybe I'll out the little 15 year old tramp now that she's close to 60. Maybe then I'll get closure and she can live with the same pain I've endured all these years. I mean really, how dare she smack my butt. Who did she think she was? It's not like she was my football coach or anything.

Clearly fake news... who would want to squeeze the butt of a guy named Poop? :D

On a more,serious note...

That’s just it, Steve...

Many of these offenses are not crimes, or they are “he said, she said” cases that would get dismissed, which is the reason they do not get reported but to family and/or friends at the time. Innocent until proven guilty does not even come into play.

The cases in the news these days, however, are there because they have multiple, credible and corroborated accounts. Together with some of the denial/not denial/half-ass apologies that are being issued, to me, there is enough evidence to pass a moral judgement, always on a case per case basis. Or at least enough evidence to not dismiss the accusers because they did not say anything earlier and to not assume they have an agenda from the get go.

Anyways, clearly not a topic that people want to discuss. And that is fine by me.

Clearly fake news... who would want to squeeze the butt of a guy named Poop? :D

I've never mentioned or told anybody about the butt squeezing for fear of not being believed or being accused of asking for it. if your like me and have been cursed with an ass that won't quit it's probably more believable that I was asking for my butt to be squeezed. Oh the pain. I think I'm gonna need to double up on my Valium to deal with all this anxiety. Oh the pain.