Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

dark water. dark or bright flies?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: in dark water do you use dark colored flies or bright colored flies? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

dark flies? bright flies?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:48 PM

ive heard both just wonderin your guys take on it.
[size=2]

#2 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:31 AM

I tie more dark flies for dark water with a lot of attracting noise such as propellers and glass rattles. But I'll have some bright attractor flies for every once in awhile.
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#3 Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

Generally both, but its up to the fish for what they like. Experiment until you find something they really want to take. Take hype with a grain of salt.

#4 smalliestalker

smalliestalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

really stained water I like a combination of black and chartreuse...something that pushes a lot of water or has over exaggerated movement
standing in a river waving a stick
http://www.spanglefish.com/subbuggin
http://gotbronze.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/theinkedfisherman
www.flyrecipes.com

#5 crappie

crappie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

I always have a tleast two rods with me. One with a dark fly and one with a light fly. Do this no matter the water clearness. Fish let me know what they like.

Crappie

#6 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

Also both. It depends on the water, some of the waters I fish are dark colored due to a tannic stain and mud bottoms. I generally use natural colors that imitate baitfish or other forage. In off colored water due to mud, I've had the most success with dark colors, usually black. However, sometimes colors like bright orange or chartreuse work in these conditions too. If the water is real muddy, I usually don't fish with flies.

Like the others have said, carry both so you have it covered. smile.gif

#7 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

I've had good success in fairly dirty water, in which something can no longer be seen 8-12 inches under the surface, on black and purple, as well as fluorescent green and yellow and chartreuse. Black is usually a safe bet, and if you are going to go bright, go REALLY BRIGHT.

I've fished and dived a lot of places with dark, tannic water, and that's not nearly the same as dirty muddy water. Many tannic or peat stained waters are "dark" but can have 10 feet visibility or more.

the gales of November remembered...

#8 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:19 AM

Dark for sure But with a contrasting kicker color I like black and yellow.
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#9 Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

A rerport and idea from yesterday,

#10 INS

INS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

rolleyes.gif Sorry I'm l'ate on reading the forum but I've been fishing. I start out with Black or Brown . If that doesn't work I go to white or some other light color. If that does't work I go to Bright colors (neon). I just hope I figure the color out by then. If not I go to noise makers props or sprinners on the fly's. I might also change the size of the fly. Good luck. Bill

#11 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

I don't pay too much attention to the color of the water. I pay much more attention to water clarity -- if visibility is bad, I start focusing more on flies that push a lot of water.

-- Mike

#12 sicntired

sicntired

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

Whatever works on that day,or that time of day.It's always a trial and error process. rolleyes.gif

#13 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Hairstacker @ Nov 4 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't pay too much attention to the color of the water. I pay much more attention to water clarity -- if visibility is bad, I start focusing more on flies that push a lot of water.

-- Mike

I agree pushing/moving water will atract the fishe better then worrying about color.
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins

#14 flyderaght

flyderaght

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

whatever colour fly blends best with the water your fishing. as an example burnt orange works wel here in the ottawa area because of that.
marc

#15 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

In low light conditions i certainly go for black or purple, but for stained water when the sun is high i try to use something more sparkley, colours like chartreuse and white, on the other hand i have had success with black in this case too. Speaking of clarity there is one spot i fish where i think those zebra mussels have had a drastic effect, now the water is so clear you can see all the fish, the fish can see you and they are tricky to get to take something, but it's just as much to to watch them now. Oh that spot is close to Ottawa tongue.gif .... Somewhere on the St. Lawrence