Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

dark water. dark or bright flies?

in dark water do you use dark colored flies or bright colored flies?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tie more dark flies for dark water with a lot of attracting noise such as propellers and glass rattles. But I'll have some bright attractor flies for every once in awhile.

Generally both, but its up to the fish for what they like. Experiment until you find something they really want to take. Take hype with a grain of salt.

I always have a tleast two rods with me. One with a dark fly and one with a light fly. Do this no matter the water clearness. Fish let me know what they like.

Crappie

Also both. It depends on the water, some of the waters I fish are dark colored due to a tannic stain and mud bottoms. I generally use natural colors that imitate baitfish or other forage. In off colored water due to mud, I've had the most success with dark colors, usually black. However, sometimes colors like bright orange or chartreuse work in these conditions too. If the water is real muddy, I usually don't fish with flies.

Like the others have said, carry both so you have it covered. :)

I've had good success in fairly dirty water, in which something can no longer be seen 8-12 inches under the surface, on black and purple, as well as fluorescent green and yellow and chartreuse. Black is usually a safe bet, and if you are going to go bright, go REALLY BRIGHT.

I've fished and dived a lot of places with dark, tannic water, and that's not nearly the same as dirty muddy water. Many tannic or peat stained waters are "dark" but can have 10 feet visibility or more.

:rolleyes: Sorry I'm l'ate on reading the forum but I've been fishing. I start out with Black or Brown . If that doesn't work I go to white or some other light color. If that does't work I go to Bright colors (neon). I just hope I figure the color out by then. If not I go to noise makers props or sprinners on the fly's. I might also change the size of the fly. Good luck. Bill

I don't pay too much attention to the color of the water. I pay much more attention to water clarity -- if visibility is bad, I start focusing more on flies that push a lot of water.

-- Mike

I don't pay too much attention to the color of the water. I pay much more attention to water clarity -- if visibility is bad, I start focusing more on flies that push a lot of water.

-- Mike

I agree pushing/moving water will atract the fishe better then worrying about color.

In low light conditions i certainly go for black or purple, but for stained water when the sun is high i try to use something more sparkley, colours like chartreuse and white, on the other hand i have had success with black in this case too. Speaking of clarity there is one spot i fish where i think those zebra mussels have had a drastic effect, now the water is so clear you can see all the fish, the fish can see you and they are tricky to get to take something, but it's just as much to to watch them now. Oh that spot is close to Ottawa :P .... Somewhere on the St. Lawrence