Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Finn Pike Streamer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mdraft1

mdraft1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by mdraft1:

Finn Pike Streamer

symbol-blacksmall_zps846a7b3b.jpg

Proof Fly Fishing

We source the highest quality fly tying, rod building, and fly fishing products so you don't have to

Want to stay in touch?  Proof Fly Fishing Newsletter Signup

facebookpic_zpsb319e950.jpg

#2 Trout.vs.Bass

Trout.vs.Bass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thats a keeper man good looking streamer. headbang.gif
I fish best with a lit cigar and something to drink, some people fish better with talent and skill....go figure

#3 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

great looking fly, would work on a many different species I'm sure

#4 Jackpott

Jackpott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

hey man! Could you ellaborate on how you tied in the bead rattles and how they work exactly?
I saw this pattern and tied up a few patterns with a piece of mono in the tail, bured at one end to keep several beads on to "click and rattle in the water". I also placed a few beads on the actual piano wire weedguard to click and rattle also...any suggestions advice in this manner would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

#5 mdraft1

mdraft1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Jackpott @ Feb 11 2011, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey man! Could you ellaborate on how you tied in the bead rattles and how they work exactly?
I saw this pattern and tied up a few patterns with a piece of mono in the tail, bured at one end to keep several beads on to "click and rattle in the water". I also placed a few beads on the actual piano wire weedguard to click and rattle also...any suggestions advice in this manner would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back with you. To tie in the rattle I start with a piece of stiff wire and tie it in first. It gets tied in on top of the hook just in front of the hook bend. I also use a small pliers to bend the tip of the wire to keep it from slipping out. Next pull the wire back and tie the fly. When everything looks good, simply thread the beads on the wire, bend it forward, and tie it down just behind the eye of the hook. You can put a bend in the wire for the front as well. It helps to keep things from pulling out.

The theory behind putting a rattle on a fly is to attract fish via their lateral line (the series of nerves located on the sides of fish). The rattle lets the fish "feel" the fly should the water be stained or just as an added feature on a fly. You could just as easily thread beads on a mono weed guard with the same effect. The above fly uses wire along the top of the fly because it will be fished in open water.

Hope this helps!

symbol-blacksmall_zps846a7b3b.jpg

Proof Fly Fishing

We source the highest quality fly tying, rod building, and fly fishing products so you don't have to

Want to stay in touch?  Proof Fly Fishing Newsletter Signup

facebookpic_zpsb319e950.jpg

#6 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Good info! I wanted to know the same thing
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#7 WVUontheFLY

WVUontheFLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Does the added weight of the beads tend to make the fly run hook point up? Regardless it is a good looking fly!! Great job