Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

bass flies

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Big Fly Bob

Big Fly Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

I have caught several big channels and blues while bass fishing. All were caught while fishing a large rabbit strip fly that I tie that is about 7" long. They were all accidental and I wouldn't think that they would normally want a fly that big. I have also caught several smaller size channels while bass fishing in rivers with small minnow patterns as well.

#62 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

It took me 6 months to develop this flyrod version of a swimbait but so far, the bass, redfish and tarpon love it and having an excellent swimming action without the lip it casts very smoothly. As JS pointed out, lipped flies catch the air on the cast and also grab the water when picking up the fly to cast.
Unfortunately, it takes a little over an hour to craft this bait out of foam and while it holds up to bass, the redfish tear it apart and it only lasts for 1 - 3 fish. I've got to get back to the drawing board to make one a bit more durable for the reds.

Kirk

DSC_0981-1.jpg

DSC_9077-1.jpg

Nice swimbait, definitely look like a real fish cathing machine, good luck with them