Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What would be a good fly for Catfish?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

All ... and I mean ALL larger adult catfish are predators.  Smaller cats will scavenge more than chase, but the larger they are, the more likely they'll go after something alive.  Bug Blues, Flathead and Channels are almost exclusively live prey eaters, although once a scavenger, always a scavenger.

The reason I say this is for the target catfish, the prey has to mimic the food base.  Not as precisely as trout flies, but here's an example.  

Flatheads, like bass, are structure oriented.  Their main prey are sunfish swimming in the same area and the Flathead is an ambush feeder.  They lie in wait, using that huge mouth to suck in bream that get a little too close.  You want to catch a Flathead, tie a bluegill pattern with an EXCELLENT weed guard so you can pull it through the heaviest cover.  You've got to drop this fly right into the Flathead's range of "inhalation", so you can't go too deep into the cover.  Hang on, because you could hook a good size large mouth or a 40 pound Flathead.

Blue catfish are like the Great Whites of the fresh water world.  I wish they'd eat skiers, but they aren't THAT much like Great Whites.  They do, however, cruise the open water, and they'll take any fish that looks wounded or unaware.  They are chasers, they will run down a struggling bait fish or bream or bass or anything else they think will fit into their mouth.  The mouth is somewhat smaller than a Flathead's, and they don't rely on ambush.  They will put on a burst of speed to close the distance and get within inches to inhale the food.  Strikes from Blues are generally vicious.

Most other cats will take minnows and other normal small food chain items when they get middle age, settling into ambush and scavenging in adult stages.  Any injured bait fish or bottom dwelling species patterns will catch catfish if you put it close enough.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 coinman66

coinman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

... and I mean ALL larger adult catfish are predators.  Smaller cats will scavenge more than chase, but the larger they are, the more likely they'll go after something alive.  Bug Blues, Flathead and Channels are almost exclusively live prey eaters, although once a scavenger, always a scavenger.

The reason I say this is for the target catfish, the prey has to mimic the food base.  Not as precisely as trout flies, but here's an example.  

Flatheads, like bass, are structure oriented.  Their main prey are sunfish swimming in the same area and the Flathead is an ambush feeder.  They lie in wait, using that huge mouth to suck in bream that get a little too close.  You want to catch a Flathead, tie a bluegill pattern with an EXCELLENT weed guard so you can pull it through the heaviest cover.  You've got to drop this fly right into the Flathead's range of "inhalation", so you can't go too deep into the cover.  Hang on, because you could hook a good size large mouth or a 40 pound Flathead.

Blue catfish are like the Great Whites of the fresh water world.  I wish they'd eat skiers, but they aren't THAT much like Great Whites.  They do, however, cruise the open water, and they'll take any fish that looks wounded or unaware.  They are chasers, they will run down a struggling bait fish or bream or bass or anything else they think will fit into their mouth.  The mouth is somewhat smaller than a Flathead's, and they don't rely on ambush.  They will put on a burst of speed to close the distance and get within inches to inhale the food.  Strikes from Blues are generally vicious.

Most other cats will take minnows and other normal small food chain items when they get middle age, settling into ambush and scavenging in adult stages.  Any injured bait fish or bottom dwelling species patterns will catch catfish if you put it close enough.

2012-11-06_18-47-46_329.jpg

Hows this pattern for Flathead hunting Mikechell?

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Pretty, and a great Redbreast imitation.  If you can keep it from hanging up, you'll get something on that ... maybe a Flathead.  The only caution I have is to tie in a weed guard.  You'll be pulling over then dropping this off twigs and other submerged cover if you want a big one.

That is a pretty fly, though!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

add some catnip for flavor to it..

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#20 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hey Tee, good to see you posting. Not seen post around for a while.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#21 robow7

robow7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

My best luck has been with wooly buggers, crayfish and clousers, mostly because that's what I'm tossing when I accidentally hook into one.

Attached Files

• Attached File  zdd.jpg   105.31KB   29 downloads

#22 Tee Nootsie Brasseau

Tee Nootsie Brasseau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Matrappa le poisson bleu.Attached File  sneauxfly.jpg   56.38KB   11 downloadsAttached File  bomberfish.jpg   169.31KB   15 downloadsAttached File  cfishjeryl.jpg   192.65KB   16 downloads

#23 Tee Nootsie Brasseau

Tee Nootsie Brasseau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Passin a bon ton................Attached File  barbue.jpg   223.27KB   10 downloads

#24 birddogs

birddogs

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

the only cat ive ever caught was on a wolly bugger

#25 TheBigHenderson

TheBigHenderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

the only cat ive ever caught was on a wolly bugger

Yep I second that. Brightly coloured ones. I've hooked a few on bright orange ones

#26 Patronio

Patronio

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Buggers; black and white. I catch channel cats all day long on buggers (in Ohio). Size 6 nymph hook. Bead head with lead. Swing it if on a river. Low and slow, slight jerks.

#27 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

I have caught many on a black body with olive tail, and all black wooly bugger. Also, If you have a fish feeder on the body of water you fish, I catch a ton on a fly tied to look like the food pellet. It is a blast!!!!  Amazed many a friend doing that little trick.

#28 Jolly Red

Jolly Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

I have caught some fiddlers while using a black cricket for bluegill.  

#29 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

I had the exact same question, maybe not flatheads, but a channel or a bullhead would be nice to catch, flatheads and blues don't I've nearby. By the way beautiful sunfish imitation, could you go into detail on how to tie that, its a thing of beauty. Even just the materials used would be fine. 

#30 crazy4oldcars

crazy4oldcars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

Tim, Look for tying instructions for the EP Baitfish fly.  It's a fairly easy tie, just time consuming and messy, lol.  

Kirk