Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What would be a good fly for Catfish?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Nomad77

Nomad77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

I've been tying Chocklett's game changer fly for awhile and look forward to reproducing this result one day:

10679649_946151935400505_341183898491650

#32 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

NICE Flathead!  That must have been a BLAST on a fly rod !!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#33 coinman66

coinman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Holy catfish! Nice job. What state u catch him in?

#34 Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

I've caught a few cats on flyrod. A few on olive hares ear nymph, a few flatheads all on clousers, but the most productive I've been has been with a hopper pattern. At a local lake I fish bass for, the channel cats cruise the shallows and will readily take a topwater fly. Can always tell when the cats move up into the shallows because all the bass and bluegill will stop hitting suddenly.